Compromise

com-pro-mise  /ˈkɒmprəˌmaɪz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kom-pruh-mahyz] noun, verb, -mised, -mis-ing.
–noun 1. a settlement of differences by mutual concessions; an agreement reached by adjustment of conflicting or opposing claims, principles, etc., by reciprocal modification of demands.
2. the result of such a settlement.
3. something intermediate between different things: The split-level is a compromise between a ranch house and a multistoried house.
4. an endangering, esp. of reputation; exposure to danger, suspicion, etc.: a compromise of one's integrity.
–verb (used with object) 5. to settle by a compromise.
6. to expose or make vulnerable to danger, suspicion, scandal, etc.; jeopardize: a military oversight that compromised the nation's defenses.
7. Obsolete. a. to bind by bargain or agreement.
b. to bring to terms.
–verb (used without object) 8. to make a compromise or compromises: The conflicting parties agreed to compromise.
9. to make a dishonorable or shameful concession: He is too honorable to compromise with his principles.

I live in the land of the Autoworker.  I live in the land of what used to be 'the big three' until Toyota came up, and made it 'the big four'.  And let me start by saying I am not making an political, judgemental or ANYTHING against what is happening with Toyota but it got me thinking today about compromise.  (and please don't either!)  Because in the whole realm of the recalls, people are going to lose their jobs, small shops are going to close, and that brings nothing but heartache and sadness.

I'm not taking about compromise like "I don't want to go see that movie or I don't really like that place for dinner' kind of compromise.  I'm talking about the kind that you decide to compromise your integrity. 

Its a crazy thing living for God, when you compromise in some kind of sin, when you make the choice to sin, its not just for the minute that you do it, it's about the focus it takes off God in your life and focuses on you.  Because most of the time (if you're living for Christ & depending on what it is AND if you're compulsive like me) then you're focusing on what you've done instead of focusing on what you should be doing (loving, serving, growing disciples, furthering the Kingdom,etc).

I was thinking about the decisions that someone or a group of people made in the Toyota thing.  I don't know if it was about money or if it was indeed an accident, but now instead of doing what they are supposed to do (sell cars) they are focusing on fixing the problem.  A lot like what we have to do.  We stop doing what we're supposed to do, and we focus on the mess we've created.

And you know I've got mission trip stuff on the brain, i was in Walmart yesterday, planning cereal (what a nerd!) but there is one thing that we just don't compromise on the Mission Trip... safety.  We just don't.  Because if something were to happen. I don't want to see any of my kids hurt or worse and their lives are too important.  I make no compromise about that, if you leave in the middle of the night, or you go outside, you go home, that's it.  We send them with plenty of stuff (water, food) so that their health stays optimal. But what if for one split second, for whatever reason, I said 'sure go walk down to the Wendy's at 11PM at night' and I compromised.  I could probably sit here and list at least 15 things that could go wrong.

Or in my life, what if I decided to compromise and at our sleepover the girls wanted to try some beer or other mixed drink.  I could think of at least 10 things that could go wrong, but in a split second, it might not seem that bad (for the record, I do believe it's bad and I would NOT do that!).  I could say to myself 'one little drink in the safety of my house wouldn't matter'.  but it would.  And then what?  instead of leading and loving those ninth grade girls, I've let them down in ways they may never understand, I've let the church down, and most importantly, I've let God down.  All those people trusted me.  He trusted me.  I'd have to stop what I was doing, try to clean up the mess I've made.  I'd take the focus off of God, and put it on me.  No thank you.

So now I'm thinking, what in my life am I compromising on?

Revelation 14:2 (msg) And then I heard music, harp music and the harpists singing a new song before the Throne and the Four Animals and the Elders. Only the 144,000 could learn to sing the song. They were bought from earth, lived without compromise, virgin-fresh before God. Wherever the Lamb went, they followed. They were bought from humankind, firstfruits of the harvest for God and the Lamb. Not a false word in their mouths. A perfect offering.

Comments