Love that lasts

My Aunt Janice and Uncle Vinnie have been married 29 years! Uncle Vinnie went to be with Jesus on Saturday, and if you see pictures of them looking at each other, from their wedding day until just weeks ago, you saw love. I think it is a great gift when photographers can capture that. I think it is a great gift to not only see that love but to hold it in your hand.


As someone who longs to be married, I sometimes feel like I am in a rush, I don’t know why because I am not willing to settle for anything less than God’s best for me, and it’s not like Aldi’s, there are no double your money back guarentees. I don’t really want any more children, I feel like I hit the jackpot with the one I got.

And as I was driving today (I think I drove all over Kalamazoo trying to find Starbucks! And ended up in Panera) I did a little math in my head… Uncle Vinnie was 41 when he married the love of his life. Wow! There’s hope for me yet! I was emailing a friend and she’s getting married in November and we were emailing today about how we would rather wait to get married and have it be the right one than to have settled, God brings you the right one, for sure!

You know what’s funny? I don’t really dream about my wedding. I don’t, simple and elegant, I dream about my marriage, but today, I was thinking (dreaming really) about Detroit, and I was thinking about weddings, two people I love were married this Saturday, and I was thinking about a simple white dress and the view of the city, married on Belle Isle (I’m a kook about Belle Isle). But more importantly I was dreaming about a marriage and love that lasts from start to finish.

My heart is heavy today over the loss from this earth of a great man, but my heart rejoices of the love that he and Aunt Janice had together, the beautiful life that they lived together and shared with others. I rejoice in knowing that I will see Uncle Vinnie again, that in heaven, we will meet again, and the love will be even bigger!

Comments