I'm trying

So… Yesterday I got caught up in the crazy.  Everything that is going on in the world is
taking it’s toll on my heart.  I want to
bury my head in the sand and fight every white supremacist both at the same
time. 


I posted an article, which I didn’t disagree with.  I do disagree that our president that both
sides are to blame.  But I don’t want to
talk about that here.

I honestly don’t understand racism or discrimination. My heart doesn’t bend that way.  My dad never taught me that, I will say that there are people in my family who use derogatory words to describe other races, and I do my best to let them know that’s not
ok.  When people say that hate or
racism/discrimination is part of our nature, I tend to disagree, I think it is fear.

The other day someone I know posted an article about a man who is a Muslim who is going to be running for Governor.  The man is well educated, he’s done so much to help others.  The article posted un-truths about him.  And used fear of his religion to pursade people not to vote for him. I tried my best to point out the things that weren't true and provide real truth.
Listen, if you don’t like someone because they are a raging butt-hole, I’m ok with that.  If you don’t like someone based on their skin color (no matter what it is) or religion  then you are a
racist.  And that is not ok with me.

 

I had someone send me a message regarding that sameman.  They had questions and had heard a lot of rumors.  I was happy to answer any questions they had.  The person had never been to Dearborn, had only seen weird videos on the internet.  I told them the truth, we are not under Sharia Law.  And for the record, Sharia Law does exist.  You can read about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia it’s Wikipedia so consider the source.  
In Dearborn, we live under the same rules as everyone else.  We’ve had our fair share of rough times and racism, and some would say it still exists.  I choose to believe and will always believe that the strength in our city comes from our diversity and that from a young age we learn about people and their hearts long before we notice the color of their skin.

Going back to my crazy yesterday… I took down the post, and prayed while cooking. I felt like I needed to apologize for contributing to
division.  Division never unites, it divides.  And there was a little bit of restlessness in my heart, and so I apologized. Was it required by anyone? Not really, but I think I needed to. I needed to humble myself.  That is why I needed to apologize. Nothing is resolved when our hearts aren’t humbled.
 

I’d like to say things are going to get better soon, but I am not sure that is true.  But what I do know, I am happy to show people a great city that is filled with a great people in either Dearborn or Detroit. I’ll be happy to sit down and discuss our views.
Hopefully we can learn from each other.
Grace.

Comments