Better together!

Ecc 4:9-12
9 Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

I know that this verse is often associated with weddings and marriage, but it seems that it is resonating in my heart in everyday life.
I’ve been thinking about doing things alone these days, I have friends who are going through ‘stuff’ and I honestly don’t know what the stuff is I just know that I wish I could be there for them. I am old and wise enough to know that I probably can’t do anything to help the situation, but I can be a hand to hold, a shoulder to cry on, or someone to laugh with.
I know that when I’m going through something, I tend to retreat inside, which makes me crazy, I don’t really realize that I am going crazy, until someone says to me ‘hey, time to come out and play’. I have one friend who knows to say to me ‘I can’t help you if you don’t let me’. I’m thankful for that friend.
I also know that everyday life – just regular life, no issues, just life isn’t meant to ‘do’ alone. I know how hard it is to do it on your own, and God made it abundantly clear to me that life can’t be done alone. When I had that cast, I couldn’t do anything alone! I needed our window air-conditioners out, I had NO choice but to call someone. I couldn’t even wheel the garbage cans. I couldn’t do laundry, heck, I couldn’t have even cooked dinner. I couldn’t open the door, get water, nothing. It sucked. I think God took away my independence to remind me that He did not create me to live in a bubble of me. I also think that He made me more aware of needs so that I would fill them when they arise. To remember Phil 2:1-8
1Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

I think about how I need friends to encourage me and live life with me. I am thankful that God has put amazing people in my life, and I can’t even begin to tell you how thankful I am for my family, especially my dad and Cheryl!

Comments