The decisions you make today will affect your life tomorrow…

Who would have thought the decision I made in the summer of 1992 would affect that I could attend P&P on June 13?

In the summer of 1992 I decided to have my child, not married, embarrassed that I got myself in such a spot. But I made the phone call – “I’m sorry, I can’t do it, I won’t be in, I just can’t do it”. It was the call to the “clinic”. I had just broken up with my boyfriend who chose drugs over me. I didn’t even know I was pregnant when we broke up. It’s a long drawn out, stinky story that I don’t really want to put in my blog, but if you want to know, you can email me.

For the last month I was looking forward to going to P&P. But I told my daughter she could have an end of the school year party, and she was getting a little nervous because the garage wasn’t cleaned out and we weren’t ready for the party, the garage was filthy, the driveway had crap all over it, the house was a mess. Now the house is clean (because she did) and the outside is all set. We’re both a little more relaxed and ready for the celebration. I had to do for her, not for me.

So the cheesecake still sits, but my daughter is excited that it’s ready for the party, and if Phyllis is happy, mom is happy.

Life as a single mom isn’t all responsibility (but there is a lot of it). There are a lot of great, fun moments that make it all worth while. The hugs that you don’t have to share with anyone else. Cereal for dinner, Panera if you feel like it. Getting in the car on a whim and driving somewhere, girl talk, Girl Scouts, Youth Group, being involved. Teaching your children responsibility, and the true meaning of team work, that no one can do it all. Cookies, and Gilmore Girls.

I wanted to go to P&P but I wanted more for my daughter to know, she is first in my life (after God) and that she is more important to me, even more than myself.

Sara- what scripture did you focus on… I’d love to look at it.

I can’t find a scripture… so we’ll just go with my favorite today.

James 1:2 Count it all joy… Baby (Margie version)

Comments

Sara said…
hey m girl, we missed you but i think you're the one who got the sweeter deal. we talked about worry and shared our favorite anti-worry scriptures. so what's yours? have fun at the party. and somebody owed me a piece of cheesecake. love you.