Not every angel sent down is beautiful to everyone.

Honestly, I don't know if I believe in th e whole angel thing. I know a lot of people do...

I have an aunt who came to us 'retarded'. Mentally and Physically. I think she humbled a lot of people in our family. I think in some cases some have been/are embarrassed by her (not that they have said this but it's my perception). In my case, I've learned a lot.

Many look at her or treat her like she's stupid. Honestly, she's really smart because she can act like she doesn't know how but she really does. My dad always tells a story about how when he was younger, he asked her to get him a beer, she went to fridge and got one and gave it to him. He said to her "how am I supposed to open it?" she went to the right drawer and got him the opener. The doctor's say she has the "smarts" of a two year old. I think they just don't understand her capacity.

She loves unconditionally. Honestly, it's amazing, it's like having God right with you in the physical sense. She gives great back rubs and the best hugs in the world, the kind that you can feel the love with the squeeze.

It would not surprise me if she leaves this earth soon. She's lived longer than ever expected. She's had a stroke and is not doing well right now. She's done her job.

She's shown us grace. Patience. Humility. Love. She's done more in this lifetime than most ever accomplish.

John 5:12 Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love

Comments

Pat said…
That is so beautiful, she is lucky to have you for her niece.
If you ever see a book titled "Angle Unaware" by Dale Evans by all means read it. It's the story of her handicapped daughter, and the tremendous love she brought to their family, and it's so beautifullly written. It may be hard to find, possibly only on places like EBAY, but worth the search.
Enjoy her hugs, they sound like the genuine thing!