Reading is Fundamental

When I was a kid I loved to read. My dad even yelled at me once because my “nose was always in a book”. It was. He wasn’t kidding. I loved getting a new book, I still do, and if you have ever been to my house, you can find a book on any Christian subject. It’s crazy. I’ll probably never read them all, but they seem so interesting when I see them, I just can’t resist.
RIF would come to my school a couple times a year, WOO HOO! New books, I would get so excited because I got to pick one, I would have such a hard time, I would have one of the people hold them behind their back, and that’s how I would pick. Aunt Dee would take me to the library, garage sales, new books. I loved the smell of the library. It was the smell of a new adventure. Pippi Longstocking, Nancy Drew, even Barbie.
The first book I ever remember reading was “We like Kindergarten”. I would read it every night. And then there was Just Me & my dad. I would check out “where the sidewalk ends” by Shel Silverstein over and over. I loved to read. Even now, if the pastor starts to read a scripture, I keep reading, I can’t help it, I want to know what comes next.
In the last two years or so I have purchased many books but not finished any. About 6-9 months ago, I got a new book by my absolute favorite author, Linda Howard. I discovered this awesome author when I was dating Jerome, a really hot chef that I met at Roma’s, we shared the same love in a waiter, and the love of reading. For his birthday I got him “Hannibal” the follow up book to “Silence of the Lambs”, he loved it and was mad at me because he was in school and couldn’t study because he couldn’t put the book down. But… I saw this book while I was shopping, loved the title, “All the Queens Men”. How could you not like a title like that?! Read the book in about 4 days. Every spare moment I read a page, when the last chapter came I couldn’t decide if I was happy or sad, I would finally find out the ending, but sadly, my book was done. Thankfully, that wasn’t her first book, so I got every thing by her, I order her books pre-order when I can. I have had “Mackenzie’s Legacy” waiting patiently for me.
We didn’t leave for the beach until 3:00, but my book went with me. The girls searched for treasures in the sand, I found my treasure, a love I had forgotten as I turned the pages of my book.
I had forgotten how much I love to read. I remember how my imagination runs wild. I can see their faces, hear their voices.

Reading is Fundamental.

Comments

Pat said…
I share your love of reading. I get totally lost in location, events and story line. It's a great escape isn't it? I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a good book cover. If its got a beach or sea grass on it, I read it! I never said I was deep, I just like to read!!
hippieange83 said…
I grew to HATE the phrase "nose in a book" because it was ALWAYS directed at me, and always negatively. Once I was frisked (this is not a lie) before going to my grandmas to make sure I didn't have a book I could hide with instead of visiting. I once stayed up all night under my sheets fnishing a book AFTER my mom had taken the batteries out of my flashlight to discourage this. I creeped into the living room and stole the batteries out of the TV remote. In fifth grade, when I did not get picked for library duty, I cried until my teacher gave in and let an unpresidented two people have the job. Even now, I'm told for two solid weeks in July that i'm "wasting!" my vacation because I "don't do anything but read." Yay books! HOORAH! If you had to memorize a book Fahrenheit 451 style, what would it be? If I lost the straw draw for Catcher In the Rye, my next pick would be Anthem, by Ayn Rand.