Encouragement

I have two blogs now, it's hard to write for both blogs because I think what I write about it not that interesting anyway. I was walking yesterday, and I was praying about my spiritual gifts. One of them that I have is encouragement. I love to see the best in people, and tell them about it. In a card, and email, or even in person (gasp). The later of the 3 sometimes makes people uncomfortable.

I have had a gift for a really long time. The gift of seeing the best in people. When I was younger, people would say "that so & so - she/he is a jerk" but somehow I had a different view, I can see the pain people have in their eyes, I can see the gifts that God has given them. I love that gift that God has given me. I love that God gives me the words to encourage them. I am not saying I don't see the yucky people and run screaming, God has also gifted me that I can see when people are not nice. But the gift of seeing good is sometimes painful. Since I can see the good, sometimes the bad comes and bites me in the butt because I allow them to hurt me.

I sent a card to someone who had a great affect on me when I was a kid. He probably doesn't even remember me. His name was Doug, he was in the Coast Guard, and my dad was in the Coast Guard Aux, I don't even remember what his job was, but he was at all the functions that we were at, I had the absolute biggest crush on him. I remember people telling me that he was arrogant, honestly, he was nothing but so nice to me, that's what I remember. He had been on my heart a lot lately, and so I looked him up, and sent him a card. Hopefully he doesn't send the police after me for tracking him down, but I felt this overwhelming need to tell him the good in him.

So I am challenging you, step out of your comfort zone, is there someone who has had a great affect on you, and have you thanked them?

1 Thes 4:18 Therefore encourage each other

Comments

KayMac said…
encouragement...that IS a gift...we all need it. thanks for the post
Pat said…
Why are people so stingy with words of encouragement...I encourage you to keep writing!
Tonya said…
That is a great blog Margie, Great job. I love reading your blogs.