How is your serve?

When I first started at FBC, we did this thing in Sunday School about Spiritual gifts, I seriously didn’t think I had any. Really.

There are many different ways we can serve God, and each one of us is called to do so. We are all not called to be Pastors or Youth Pastors. Some are called to work with children, or old people, or people with addictions, or counsel those who just need to get out of our own way to let God do His thing. But not all of us are even called to work with people. You think that Powerpoint slide gets all those fancy backdrops and words all by itself, or the sound is perfect (or near it) all by itself, that answer would be “no”.

So I am asking you, how are you serving God? Are you one of the 20% who do 80% of the work, or are you the 80% who do 20% of the work?

Each one of us is called to do something. I feel like I have a lot of gifts. Now. I love working with the kids, but the funny thing is, there are 8 of us at Driven. Angie, Sue, Henry, Alice, Gary, Jon, Pastor Julie, and me. Each of us is completely different, except for one thing, we answered the phone when God called. I won’t lie, I am often intimidated by how much better the others are than me in so many ways. I could go on and on about Julie - she is awesome!! Alice runs the café and is silly with the girls- does fundraising, Henry and Gary are good at connecting with the boys, Jon, oh Jon, he has more talent in his pinky than I have all year, he brings out the best in all of them, Angie, she can sing and teach, both I wish I could do, Sue, she is the preacher, the teacher, counselor, newspaper writer, All I do is burn CDs, take attendance, take pictures, drive the kids around, and make the occasional meal, but I listen when God calls, I fill in where I can.


But there is so much more than the Youth.

There are Soup Kitchens, and no one does it better than Grady, he is open to God’s miracles everyday, there is Liz, my daughter thinks she is the cat’s pajamas as far as Sunday school teachers for the toddlers. There’s Stacy at Metro, and quite honestly, I think she is the best greeter ever. I think some do it well, Stacy is phenomenal. There are teachers, and leaders, and honestly, my list could go on and on.

There are many ways you can serve the Lord. Look around, take the attached survey,
(http://www.calvarychurch.ca/neatstuff/spiritualGifts/index.htm) what are you good at, how has God blessed you, can you cook, are you an awesome singer? A teacher, organizer, counselor, good with computers, good with kids, older people, compassionate, good with money? And are you using your talents?

How is your serve? Talk to your Pastor, I am quite sure they will help you find your place, the seat is probably open, just waiting for your butt.

1 Samaul 12:24 But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.

Comments

Pat said…
Missed you Sista, and missed your blogs! You're always right on target with your commentary. I personally shy away from public service feeling I have nothing to contribute, but your right, there is always something you can do, and not all service is in the spotlight. It's kind of like the medical field, doctors get all the glory, but the researchers in the labs toiling to discover cures are never mentioned. We're all important to God's kinddom..we all need to contribute, even if it's showing love to those who feel unloved. Keep those great blogs coming..also love your new weight loss blog, now I just need to apply it to myself!
MSU gal said…
I am a Goodfellow. Every year we work to raise money to make sure that no child is without a Christmas. We stand on corners to get money and have a week of volunteering where we pack up boxes of food and toys for needy families and boxes of food and personal items for senior citizens who are not physically able to go out (shut-in). Brooke goes with me every year. Every December she helps the firemen count the money at the fire station. I am trying to teach her about the importance of volunteerism. There are many great causes and organizations out there. All you have to do is pick one.
MSU gal said…
I am a Goodfellow. Every year we work to raise money to make sure that no child is without a Christmas. We stand on corners to get money and have a week of volunteering where we pack up boxes of food and toys for needy families and boxes of food and personal items for senior citizens who are not physically able to go out (shut-in). Brooke goes with me every year. Every December she helps the firemen count the money at the fire station. I am trying to teach her about the importance of volunteerism. There are many great causes and organizations out there. All you have to do is pick one.
MSU gal said…
Don't know how I did that. I have been told that I repeat myself a lot!