I have a friend. A dear friend, I spoke of him in another blog. His name is Dani. I have been friends with Dani since the summer before 6th grade, I would watch Dani and his cousin Shady play basketball at Shady’s house because my g-friend Erica (also previously mentioned) liked Shady.


When I look back, it makes me laugh how God works, how the plans He puts into place from the summer before 6th grade all lead to His good and perfect will.

I moved from Dearborn when I was 15 to Lincoln Park, and my poor father, I reeked holy terror on him. Oh I was not nice, I did not want to move to Lincoln Park… but that God’s will thing, gets you every time, but that’s another story. I remained friends with a lot of people but Dani and I kind of lost touch, but he was in my heart, and I would ask old friends about him, he went to federal prison when we were 21. 3 months after he turned 21 to be exact.
One day, after watching the news and how women were fawning over that crack pot Tim McVeigh (OK City bombing), I said outloud, probably, I don’t know how someone could write someone in prison, I just don’t get how people love someone they can’t see or don’t know.
I am not kidding, not one month later (April 2001), I received a letter at work, from Dani. He had tracked me down via mutual friends and they only address they had was my work, because I worked at Lear. He made no mention of where he was to protect me because he didn’t know if I would get the letter. I wrote him back, sent stamps in the mail because I thought that he wouldn’t have any money to buy stamps and I didn’t want him to feel obligated or put out by writing me. (Little did I know that he doesn’t have any money worries, and prisoners cannot receive stamps from the outside.- naïve on many accounts). Apparantly I was the first person to ever do that for him, I think he said something to the affect of that I was still the same sweet person he remembered.


I am not a good pen pal, past experience tells me this. Until Dani. I would write him every week, then it got to a couple times a week. I don’t know why but I always felt the need to send him every detail of my life, how much laundry I did, how much I cleaned, where we had been, errands I ran. Somehow he became part of my every day life. When we go places, and it’s really cool, I often think “I wish Dani could see this”, this is how I became such the photographer (another one of my spiritual gifts). I take pictures of the places we’ve been. He has a life sentence without parole, I believe he is innocent, and will one day win an appeal, and he will be home to celebrate with his family and friends. I have hope (Faith is being sure of what we hope for & certain of what we do not see – Hebrews 11:1)
Dani taught me a lot over the past years, to stick up for myself, to be healthy, and how to be a very good friend. He’s told me things that I don’t want to hear, but need to. I miss him.
And either you are bored to tears at this point, or you are wondering how God is working in me.

My friend Marilynn is the National Director of Prison Fellowship-Bridge to Hope. Her vision is God’s vision. To reach women in prison with the Word of God. I know this about myself, if not for Dani, I would not be open to this kind of thing. I know it doesn’t sound nice to say that, I but I know that about myself, but I think sometimes its easy to serve someone in a soup kitchen, but serving God via prisoners is not easy for everyone to comprehend. I think we look at the people in soup kitchens as “less fortunate” it’s easy to see these days that just a paycheck away that people we know and love could end up in that type of situation. Prisoners are viewed differently, I believe, because people have the impression that it was their choices that got them there, but I wonder, have you ever done something that you got away with, big or small, that you are glad it was overlooked or by the grace of God you were never caught (speeding, whatever).
I support my friend, and her ministry, through prayer at this time. I listen to her, encourage her, and I think that what she is doing is wonderful. I sat in her meeting today, asking God “what do You want me to do? How am I supposed to serve You in this?” The answer was true and clear. “Keep praying, My plan for this doesn’t include you outside of praying… Right Now.” I am going to be going to a facility for Young Girls, and I do feel called for that, I have a heart for kids.
What Marilynn does is amazing, to meet her, you instantly love her. Her smile is warm and her heart is open & true. She is one of my best friends. I really don’t know how you feel about prison ministry. My scripture today is the basis of her ministry. She said it to me once when I gave some woman money, and after I did it the devil was whispering in my ear, and I said, “but what if she goes and buys drugs with it” and Marilynn said that is not for me to worry about. And quoted the scripture below.

But if you feel led to be a part of her ministry, email me, and I can get you in contact with her. Please pray for this awesome ministry. It is amazing the doors God is opening for them, and how He is pathing the way for His glory.

As I said earlier, it makes me laugh how God works in my life. How the stones He laid when I was 11 have become the path I walk today.

Matthew 25:36-40 I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Comments

Pat said…
How insightful.."the stones He laid when I was 11 have become the path I walk today". Shows how important to watch what stones you are walking on, even as a child.
Tonya said…
Very Nice, I like how you point out that God lays the perfect stones for us on what he intends for us to do with out lives.