My Favorite Things to Cook


I decided to follow Sara's regular Saturday posts... The reasons these are my favorites is because they are favorites of my family and friends

1. Cookies
2. Ribs & Spaghetti
3. Cookies (Choc Chip, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal Raisin)
4. Turkey Dinner
5. Shepard's Pie
6. Cheesecake
7. Ham Rolls
8. Pasta Salad
9. Cheese Potatoes
10. Chicken Pot Pie

Here is the recipe for Shepherd's Pie...
I got the recipe from Rachel Ray 30 minute meals... I have updated the recipe with my adaptations...
1 lb potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
3 T sour cream
3 T butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire
~1 cup frozen mixed veggies (usually I pull them out when I am cooking so they thaw a little)

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Add the butter & sour cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with turkey or beef. Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. Drain if necessary. Add chopped onion to the meat. Add mixed veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
In a second small skillet over medium heat cook butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables.

Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned.

Comments

Sara said…
what time's dinner?
Pat said…
I love your favorite things! Would you share your Shepard's Pie recipe? I've never made one and since yours is well loved, it must be good!
Tonya said…
Thank you for sharing the recepie, I think I might try that one day, sounds pretty easy.