Altar


Growing up Catholic you learn a lot of crazy things, I have nothing against the whole Catholic thing, but truth be told, I can’t imagine ever going back. I’m far too rebellious and questioning to be Catholic (not that there is anything wrong with being Catholic) because it seemed that in my 30 years of being Catholic it was about rules not relationships.

When I was making my sacrament of confirmation, I had to go to some classes. One question was “what is the one thing that you must have in order to have mass (service)?” The answer: an altar.

Going to church all those years, in every church, Jesus on the cross (or just a plain cross) is in the center of the front the church, there is a big altar. My first thought going to Metro was “where is the crucifix and what kind of altar is a high school stage?” I had soon forgot that as soon as Praise and Worship began, and Jeremy spoke. But still it was always in the back of my mind… Until…

The first time I took communion at Metro. Because I have taken communion a gazillion times before (in the Catholic church we did it every week – sometimes twice a week) it sometimes lost it’s impact. I am sorry to admit that in my outloud voice. But it’s true. Just like sometimes eating everyday losses it’s impact unless you’re really hungry.

I was really hungry for a communion that meant something. Not all communions had lost their impact, but the time I had it at Metro I was pretty hungry to be emptied out of the pain and filled with the body and blood of Jesus.

“Where two or more are gathered…” I’ve come to learn (through Sara and Jeremy) that God meets us where we are, it could be in a grocery store, in our car, or in the gathering of a bunch of people in a high school who are in need of the love and grace of Jesus. He doesn’t have to be there hanging on the wall to be the center of our worship, His spirit abounds.

Comments

Pat said…
Can I just tell you that i never tire of reading your posts? You can state things so beautifully...you have a gift and I'm always touched by it.
KayMac said…
from one Roman Catholic raised girl to another....communion is a beautiful way to remind us of our rescue! Great post!
Jada's Gigi said…
Yes, His Spirit abounds! Eat and drink of Him every day!
Becky said…
there are a lot of things from back then i never quite understood and know what i know now...
Tonya said…
Amen! Great Post Margie.
Mrs. Mac said…
Thank you for putting this message down in a post ... from an ex-catholic girl with a religion ... to a Christian gal with a relationship with Jesus.