A better steward


God has given me a gift (well, a lot more than just one, but let's focus here for a minute).
Money.

I make good money. More than I ever thought I would. And I'm always broke.

After paying bills a couple of weeks ago, I had $26.77 in my checking account and $40 for gas for two weeks. I was a little depressed by this thought. Then I remembered something. I can remember a time when we ate mac & cheese and corn for a week, because that's all we could afford, and I couldn't afford to borrow money because I couldn't afford to pay it back, and sometimes my bills weren't paid. After $26.77 we had food in the cupboard and freezer, we were set. I'm looking at breaking each utility down and seeing where I can save, even just a little bit. Looking at each trip to the grocery store. The other day I went to Save-A-Lot (I love this place) and I was putting things in my cart because "it's such a good deal" but as I was doing it, I made myself think "are we going to use this in the next two weeks?". If not, it went back on the shelf. I even brought my own bags instead of paying $.10 for theirs. I am working on getting my finances back in shape. Little by little, by applying the tricks I knew from the days of 4 jobs balancing it all. Daycare, gas, insurance that just seemed unbearable, but in those days, I was very careful with my money because I didn't have much. Now, I have much, but I wasn't so careful with it. I'm working on it, day by day. God has given me a great gift of meeting my needs financially, and I want to make sure I am a good steward.

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.

Comments

Pat said…
Stewardship of God's money seems to be a word He wants to get out lately. I've even heard it discussed a lot at work and on the radio on the way to work. Time for this land of plenty to listen to what God is saying. Great post today!
KayMac said…
my friends are meeting w/ me tonite to help me w/ a budget. my goal-to be a better steward, too!
Sara said…
you are so smart.
Tonya said…
Great way to look at it Margie, You are so smart.
Bar L. said…
I can relate! The more I have the more I spend. I have been meaning to make a budget and you just inspired me!