Rising Up


Did you know that to look bigger or be bigger/better, it is not necessary to push someone else down?

A lesson that many still need to learn.

Rising Up 101
Have you ever had a bad day and you almost can't shake it, and someone walks by and they look especially nice, so you tell them. They smile, they get a little extra kick in their step and instantly you feel better. Maybe not all better, but a little sunshine has pushed away the dark cloud.

Rising Up 201
You work with someone who is unexperienced. For whatever reason. This could be in your church, at your job, in your family. So instead of telling them they can't do it, their are not smart enough, good enough, etc, you show them how to do it. You improve their knowledge. Little kids are like sponges when it comes to learning things, adults are sponges too, sometimes it just takes a little longer to absorb. The cells are not as reactionary as they used to be due to fear, and other dumb things that hold us back.

Let me tell you about someone. Her name is Michelle. She was my boss from 1999-current with the only exception of the past year and 3 months while she was on maternity leave with her 2nd cutie pie.

Michelle has taught me more things about work than I could ever put on paper. But more importantly, Michelle has taught me life lessons, and we're way more than co-workers, we're friends. We've been through a lot together. Sometimes I feel like she's all I got.

Michelle never, EVER knocks me down. As my boss, if I needed to learn a hard lesson, and needed a talking to, she kicked my tail right back into place, but I KNEW it was for my own good. When I have the days of self doubt, she reminds me that I am smart, and that I can do anything. Yesterday we were talking, and I truly think that a lot of people underestimate me. I underestimate myself for crying out loud. They don't think I'm smart. I am smart, and Michelle as my boss and friend, don't let me forget it. She NEVER pushes me down to make herself look better. She never says "I could do that better - you just sit there, I'll do it". Michelle hands me the project (or whatever) and says this is what I want you to accomplish, if you need my help, I am right here.

This my friends is how to succeed in life. Lift people up and you'll be lifted too. At the end of the day, Michelle has taught me more things than I could tell you. She's lifted me up, and in doing that, she's elevated herself as well, because she's a better boss and friend. "Getting ahead" (for lack of a better term) doesn't happen when you knock someone out of your way or when you're a butt kisser, it happens with hard work, with doing what's right, and helping others grow as well, someone needs to fill your old shoes before you can get new ones. Otherwise, why would people work so hard to be mentors?

My true hope is that others learn this lesson. Michelle has mastered it. By the way, she is the best boss I ever had, and I'd follow her anywhere.

1 Thes 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Comments

Pat said…
This is a wonderful tribute to you boss and a great lesson taught. I have the same kind of boss and if it weren't for her, I'd given up on my self a long time ago. This should be posted in every work place!!!
Tonya said…
Being a boss myself, I would have to concur with B-Girl, it shoudl be hanging in every workplace..