Dilemma - I need some advice...


This year, as most of you know... things are a little tight in the financial department. Now, trust me, my being tight means we eat, we pay bills, we live in a wonderful house... but there is not a lot for extras. Christmas is here, and money is accounted for the few people I am buying for... but here's my dilemma...

What do I do about Christmas cards? You think this is not a big deal, but it is for me. I am known in some circles as the card lady. I actually already have the cards (bought them in July for like $2/box) but to send out to my list (it's 200 families) that equates to about $80 in stamps. Now, I know what you are thinking... 200 families?! but if I send to this person, then I have to send to that person, there is NOT one person I could cut without feeling more guilty then I already do...

SO! What do I do? to send or not to send, that is the question? If I say a prayer for each person on the list how will they know? (that's actually what I do with each card- I say a little prayer for them) and then put the stamp on... Got any ideas?

Signed,

Stampless

Comments

John Cowart said…
Years ago I worked for the Post Office; I never sent out a Christmas card again after that.

As to saying a prayer for the person and them not knowing about it, well, the Important One does know about it whether the prayees do or not.

Also, if it's in your heart to send cards, use as many e-cards as you can to save on postage, there are a slew of sites, including Hallmark, that offer free e-cards.

For folks in your area code, how about a phone call instead of a card. Or maybe a collective cider and crackers party for them all.

But, pay no attention to me. Maybe I'm a misanthrope but I don't know 200 people in this whole world!
Anonymous said…
Yikes, 200 families. My top number for cards used to be 80 families and that was a stretch for me. Now I'm down to about 40 ... only sending greetings to those I don't regularly see or that are states away. You should never be "guilt" driven but God driven. If God has not provided for that many cards ... than take some of John Cowarts advice ... ie "e cards".
Did this advice help?
Margie said…
you both helped! Maybe I will just send ecards to the people I know with computers and then the rest it will be regular cards...
Pat said…
I love to get Christmas cards, and miss that the numbers have fallen. Sometimes that is the only communication I have from someone, so I really look forward to receiving them. If I communicate with someone on a regular basis, there really is no need for a card, just greed on my part!:) I always look at it as a once a year thing, but when money has been tight or time didn't allow, I just didn't send as many. It more important to send to those who would feel very lonley if they didn't recieve one...like me! HA!
Sara said…
i love getting cards too, and never seem to get organized enough to send them. e cards are great. so are hand deliveries. anybody on your list you see in person that you could hand the card to with an attached hug?