Gifts


There are two ways we can accept a gift. With a loving, and thankful heart or like a jerk, like the gift wasn’t good enough.

Most of the time, I am very thankful. But sometimes I can be a real jerk.

You know Metro has a new church. I stand in awe of the men who can build walls and paint ceilings (literally, I stood), cut wood, put down floor leveler. I think their gifts are very cool and I think my gifts are so inadequate. Do you know what I can do? I can make a mean brownie, clean, or make sloppy joes.

I felt so inadequate. I am not lying. I feel like when I look around at the new building, I don’t do much, I clean up bottles, drop off some food, or stand and watch the guys paint the ceiling (and spill the paint).

Ok, then it hits me, or maybe it was God slapping me in the head. People gotta eat (and you can only eat so much pizza). They have to be able to find the tools they need. They need some organization. “So use your gifts Margie. Be thankful for what I gave you.” (I can make a meal for like $20 people for less than $1 a person.) “It’s a gift and if I didn’t need someone to do it, I would not have sent you there. Now go.”

God knows that if He needs me to hang drywall, I’ll be open to Him giving the wisdom (and strength) for such a task. So until then, I’ll just show up, be thankful for muscles that aren’t sore, and using the gifts that I love. And I’ll stop being such a jerk.

You can check your spiritual gifts at this website
http://www.calvarychurch.ca/neatstuff/spiritualGifts/index.htm

Eph 4:16 16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work

Comments

Pat said…
I love this post. I always thing I don't have any gifts to offer, but your so right, God gives each of us special gifts and talents. It wouldn't be much good if He only gave everyone the gift of dry-walling would it?!
KayMac said…
some of the things you mentioned...i cannot do. love that God pulls us all together for His glory and purposes!
Mrs. Mac said…
Remember the "body" of Christ consists of practical things like toes and little fingers ... nothing gets passed over. I've always considered myself a big toe :) ... behind the scenes talent (actually inside the sock).
Becky said…
hey you! i took your little test, guess what-here are my top three-ready for this...
Gift 1: Hospitality
Gift 2: Faith
Gift 3: Knowledge
go figure!!!
love you!!!!!!!
Sara said…
Gift 1: Teaching 16
Gift 2: Wisdom 16
Gift 3: Knowledge 16
Gift 4: Discernment 16
Gift 5: Counseling 16
Gift 6: Shepherding 15
Gift 7: Prophecy 14
Gift 8: Mercy 11
Gift 9: Creative Communications 11
Gift 10: Leadership 10

becky's makes much more sense. where's the gift of napping?
seriously, great post. none of us lack gifts; we just hesitate to open them.
Pat said…
Sara, shouldn't mercy be nearer to the top of the list?
Margie said…
sara invented the list
MSU gal said…
sara invented inventing

great post.
Pat said…
I'm afraid to take the test, maybe it will come back blank!! Or worse yet, mercy won't be on it at all!