A Giving Heart


I know you know I am a huge nerd-o. Please bear with me while I am overwhelmed with gratitude to the Most High.

I decided, "oh I got a few minutes, I'll throw some stuff together for a donation to St Vincent DePaul's". 10 minutes later, 6 bags, 3 backpacks, a winter coat, 2 pairs of ice skates, and a partridge in a pear tree I realized how blessed I was. These were things I was going to sell at my garage sale last year.

I know people who shop for their kids at Thrift stores because they don't have enough money to buy new things. What we consider poor and what they consider poor are completely 2 different things. I am going to ask you something today... do you have something in your closet, your basement, or your garage that you won't donate because you could A) sell it B) you'll fit into it "someday" or C) it's too good to donate? I'd like you to look into your heart, and donate it. Most of us (and if you have a computer in your home and an internet connection - you fit this) have way more than we need and sometimes way more than we want.

Those clothes that you will "someday" fit into, could fit someone who is cold, RIGHT NOW. That game you never play because there are some you like more, could be opened by a kid at Christmas who will be thankful for it. And if it's about the money that you could make at your garage sale next summer... detail it out, and write it off on your taxes. The time you spend sitting around could be better used at a soup kitchen anyway...

I'm not passing judgement here, trust me, I fit into probably A,B, &C of those categories. I'm trying to change my own heart. Well, it's really God changing my heart, me just trying to take the credit.

You know it's no secret I love to serve. Not everyone is equipped for Soup Kitchens and Mission Trips. We all can do our part, and isn't that the way Jesus would want it anyway?

Happy Thanksgiving Eve.

1 Peter 4:10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. (thanks Becky - I stole this from your blog...)

Comments

Sara said…
I am an ABC person who wishes I weren't. And the only way not to be is to let Christ speak through people like you. I'll join you in this.
Becky said…
you are wonderful! and i do give to the salvation army, then i turn around and go thru the front door to puchase... i love that store!
Anonymous said…
I just bagged so many of my "hope to fit in soon" clothes to donate. Got a new wardrobe that fits better too. Now I just have to drive the bags to the donation center. I'd much rather donate that try to sell at a tag sale.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
KayMac said…
You have such a giving heart, Margie. You bless so many people!