Happy Hoolliiidddaaaayyysss


Matthew 11:28-30 28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

It is becoming very apparent to me in my old age that savoring the holidays is something that is really important. I have lived long enough to figure out that packing your holidays to the brim is not a way to enjoy them. So this holiday season (one that I am not that enthused about) I am warning you now, I will not pack my calendar to the rim. Please don’t be offended by this, if I say no, it doesn’t mean that I don’t love you, I didn’t take offense when you didn’t meet me for lunch or come out on the boat, please don’t think I love you any less if I say no. Oh, and by the way, if it means extra money will be spent, it’s pretty much out. The cost of butter and sugar (at a 20 year price high) is an extra expense, not to mention presents.

I refuse to be a mean shopper or someone who forgets what this holiday is all about, because it’s about Jesus, and no offense, He’s all I need. He’s my mashed potatoes (and beans) everything else is all jello salad and gravy.

I know this sounds pretty scroogie but if it means that keeping Jesus in my heart, being cheerful to those who see me around, if it means that when people see me, they see the love of Christ… well, I guess it’s the right thing to do.

Col 3:1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.

Comments

Elizabeth said…
Thanks for this reminder. I am excited to spend this season with my family and looking for ways to serve others so they see the true meaning of showing Christ's love. We will make cookies to send to my son in the NAVY...these days as we celebrate his birthday and holidays without him for the first time is a challenge but I'm making it ok.
Take care and keep eating beans :-)
KayMac said…
I hope you truly get to enjoy the season, the gift we have been given by God in our redemption through Jesus, and all your loved ones.

I am totally with you on the idea of overcommitment and overspending. This is a good reminder.
Becky said…
wouldn't it be great if the great christian public get it? what would the stores do? i think after one season of getting the REAL meaning and only getting a thoughtful kind of thing instead of getting what is not needed and what is not necessarily wanted and stuff to keep other people away and stuff to outdue the others of this planet then the stores would get the idea what it's about?