I love serving at the soup kitchen. My favorite job ever is the syrup girl for the Easter Breakfast (that is not served on Easter, but on like the Saturday before). What's not to like, you get to walk around with some sweet stuff and a smile. Everybody likes you. They were calling me the syrup Natze though last year because if I asked "would you like some more syrup?" and they said no, I would say, "are you sure, it's really good, come on, have some"...

Yesterday I took some kids to the soup kitchen as part of their Random Acts of Kindness month. They served sit down dinners to many (way too many for me to count). I was so proud of all of them. They worked their little butts off. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, veggies, dessert. All donated. The Trinity Soup Kitchen didn't have to pay for a thing, how awesome is that?! It was a dinner that was comparable to what you will be eating on Thansgiving, portions so big that most couldn't even finish! I am amazed at God's work their. There is one guy who impressed me so much the first time I went there. His name is Rick. In college, Rick was challenged in a class to take a stand for something, Rick decided to take a stand for love, and never misses a Saturday, I can't remember if it's 5 or 7 years. He took a stand for love, a stand for God. I am ashamed when I think of that. I don't do nearly that much. He is some thing to aspire to be. A stand for love, a stand for God, in a place where you can feel Jesus' love. In a place that serves "the least of these".

Matthew 25:34-40 34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Comments

Sara said…
i don't even know what to say; i'm in awe.
Sara said…
waiting for cutie pie carpet laying photos!!
Deb said…
wow---can I come over and help dish out the syrup?
Pat said…
What can I say, that is so awesome, and what a gift by example for your daughter!
I'd say the right girl was in charge of the syrup!
Jada's Gigi said…
Awesome for kids to participate in RAOKs...
KayMac said…
all of us need a rick or a margie in our lives to inspire us to action. great post