Reminders of Jesus

I am a product of my surroundings. And so are my blogs.

Yesterday we went to move my Gram’s stuff. I was in charge of making the new place homey. I brought the pictures, the silly bird clock, and other things. I got the fresh flowers, the candy for the dish. I brought her towels that are pretty mint green color (instead of the stark white ones they provide), soap dishes, and rugs. And the crucifix that hung on her wall.

There are a lot of things that I will put up with, and things my family can say to me, but there are things I think they realize there are just things that I won’t budge on.

There were only two picture hangers on the wall. And two pictures and the crucifix. One picture hanger was over the bed, the other on the far wall. So, being the controlling Jesus freak that I am, I hung Jesus over my Gram’s new bed, the big family picture on the wall, and made the decision that my dad could hang the other picture later. I don’t remember if it was my dad or my uncle, they went to move Jesus. And I about came out of my skin. “Don’t touch that Jesus”. And it still hangs there. There are some things you just don’t mess with, and Jesus is one of them.

If you think for one minute that I (or my gram) needs Jesus on the wall to be in my heart, you are completely wrong. Do I like that it is there to remind me how much I love Him, and He loves me? Absolutely. Do I want my gram to be reminded that He is with her for always? Absolutey again. I will say that she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer these days, and I want to make sure (like I know it really doesn’t matter) she knows He’s there.

This isn’t easy for me to see, to see a woman who loved me and did nice things for me. The woman that stands before us now is not the woman who made memories with me. She’s not the woman who couldn’t drive by a garage sale, she’s a shell of what she was, a woman who loved her family, who sacrificed for her family, who tried her best to center us all around Jesus.

Set your affection on things above, not on things of the earth. (Colossians 3:2)

Comments

Pat said…
More kleenex today. You help to ease my pain of my own mothers decline. She called me at work today because she didn't know what day of the week it was. BUT, she never forgets who Jesus is!
KayMac said…
Praying for you and your special little grandma today.
wow, this post touched me so deeply. thank you