Sometimes you just have to say no… even after you’ve said yes.


I can feel the holidays coming up. I can already feel that “I can’t breathe feeling” settling in, and it’s not even Thanksgiving yet.

I am not really that stressed about the gifts because I don’t buy for that many. So, don’t be offended if there is not a big present, with a fancy bow, with your name on it. But, a plate of cookies may be in your future!!

It’s that there is just so much to do. There is normal house cleaning, and things that must get done. Add an extra day of Youth Group (which is a good thing), one committed day to helping at the building and I try to get over there one other day during the week (usually Monday). Cooking on Saturday and Sundays for Metro Constructors. I am getting my furniture next Wednesday and we are painting the living room Saturday afternoon after I get done at the soup kitchen. That means… everything needs to be out of the living room, and taped up by Friday. The living room is pretty much cleaned out, an area rug, TV, and the old couch. Floors are washed… waiting for tape…

OH! Did I mention, an old co-worker called, “I’m in town – tomorrow only - wanna have dinner?” AHH!! It’s probably the only time I will see him before the holidays and I haven’t seen him for months, we’re good friends and a good faith/accountability friend. But I volunteered to help with data entry at Pastor J & Lynette’s, and Thursday is my committed day at the building.

Sometimes you just have to say no. I had to call Lynette and tell her that I needed to cancel/reschedule. It’s not serving if you are stressed out and grumbling. I am a firm believer in that.

I feel terrible and relieved at the same time. I can only do so much. I really hope she understood and wasn’t just being polite, because I HATE to break a commitment. But the thing is, I don’t need to be everywhere all the time. If I don’t serve in one spot then someone else can serve, and they get the blessing. God doesn’t need me to do His work, He may want me to serve but He doesn’t need me. And I don’t need to serve for Him to prove I love Him, He already knows. I want to enjoy this holiday season, the birth of our Savior. God sent Him down this beautiful season, and I intend to serve and enjoy… and breath.

Do you ever feel so overwhelmed you can’t breath??

God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in distress." (Psalm 46:2)

Comments

Mrs. Mac said…
I used to feel very overwhelmed until I learned to say no.
Becky said…
i love you no matter how stressed out you think you are!! take a breath! come, take time, rest in the Lord and have some tea!!!!!!
I love this picture you posted! And oh yes, I have felt that stressed. My mother has been sick for a few years now and with this and the ministry, working and everything, sometimes I get so overwhelmed I can't breathe. I know I could not do what I do if it were not for God.
KayMac said…
agree...slowing down, saying no can be a necessary thing. lynette will so totally understand..no worries for you there!