A chance

I remember about 13 years ago, Phyllis was not quite a year, my dad told us to get my stuff together, and being the kind kid that I was, I thought it was all him. We were fighting all the time at that point. I moved in with my girlfriend for a couple of months but that was not a temporary situation. It was November, and it was getting cold and I needed to find a place to live, but at $4.85/hour, I apparently made too much and I had like $1000 car. FIA told me I could lie and say I didn’t have a car and I would have to quit my job to get help. I think I made about $500/month after taxes. I looked at a single wide trailer to rent. It wasn’t even winter yet and it was already cold – with the heat on. And it was… gross. At some point I had to swallow my pride and go talk to my dad. And the giving, forgiving wonderful man he was, he took us back in.

I think about where we would be if he hadn’t. Would I ever had a chance? Would we be one of those stories you hear about single moms who are the white trash that their family is embarrassed of? Maybe I would have been on Jerry Springer. I still think my family is embarrassed of me, but at least they don’t have to “loan” me money knowing that they would never get it back.


And I guess this Christmas I think about how giving and forgiving our Father is. Where would we be had He not sent His Son down for us. Would we ever had a chance? Could we have ever sacrificed enough to make it into Heaven? His grace amazes me.

Comments

Sara said…
all it takes is to bow our heads, lay down our pride and let our Father make it better. great post.
Mrs. Mac said…
Amen to what Sara said. God is so gracious to provide ... and if we only ask forgiveness and accept His provisions we are blessed.
Pat said…
Beautiful post. Funny, I'm baking this morning and I was thinking of your dad making nut roll with Phyllis and her cousin. He must be an incredible man and a wonderful father...a father of second chances like you said.
We can't even imagine how many chances God gives us, over and over and then sends His son ~ to insure that we are forgiven ~ if we only humbly ask.
Merry Christmas.