Fear


Do you ever feel overwhelmed by fear?

Will there be enough money in the checking account to pay the bills? Will they one day decide that you are really just a number, and through your number out to the curb, then there is no job? Will you make that one wrong decision as a parent and WHAM! You screw up your kid’s whole life? That maybe your best friend won’t get out of prison? That one day your friends will realize that you really just are a loser, and what’s the point? That you may never find love? That one day you may end up like the homeless you serve? That your church may just decide that the sins you’ve committed are worse than everyone else’s and say “you’re just not welcome here”. That you are not good enough, pretty enough, or anything enough? And you might just be the one that God says – “I give up on you, you’re just too far gone, and you just don’t believe in my enough – you’re whole heart just isn’t enough, you weren’t worth My Son.”

I have been a worrier my whole life. I’ve said it before. I’ve worried htat my dad was going to die, I always have a plan B, sometimes a plan C, D, E, and all the way through Plan Z. I feel like Ford Motor trying to sell cars. I’ve made myself sick over the years, lost weight because all my system could handle was eggs, toast, and animal crackers. I’ve had doctors tell me that I need to write down on a piece of paper all the things I worried about, put them in the closet and after a month, see which ones came true and were worth worrying about. The answer “none”. Do you think that stopped me? Nope. One of my favorite scriptures is Matthew 6:25-34. The last verse is my absolute favorite - Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Somehow today, I find myself in a pit of worry. It’s like quicksand, I just keep sinking and sinking and sinking, and I just can’t seem to get myself out. And you know why? Because like everything else in life, only God can save us from ourselves.

Sara – you asked what was our New Year’s Resolution. Well, of course, I don’t want to be fat. But really, I want 2007 to be the year I no longer want to worry, I will trust in God. And maybe I can get a head start tonight.

Matthew 6:25-34

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Comments