lessons of today


I went to the funeral of my friend Jon today. It was packed. So many people there to pay their respects, and to show their love to the family that is now left behind until they meet again in heaven. I was asked a month or so ago by his wife if I would tell a story about Jon. What was I going to say? I loved Jon, but you know, I blubber, and I blubber. I was going to say what I wrote about him the other day, the problem was, that I really wanted people to hear about my friendship and memory of Jon, not me up there, crying. So it got a little shortened up. Ok, a lot shortened up, but the point got across.

Throughout the day people were walking up to me telling me how much Jon loved me. How he broke down when I got my degree, and other things. I wish he would have told me when he was alive. I always just thought he felt sorry for me….

Life is about lessons, and one I learned today (I really already knew it, but it was brought home today), it’s important to tell people you love them that you do. Never stand there after they are gone and say “I wish I would have…” or leave them wondering how you felt about them.

And another one I learned, get right with Jesus. If you think you are getting to heaven any other way, you can’t. He’s the way, the truth, and the life, no one gets to the Father, except through Him (John 14:6). It doesn’t matter what age you are, it’s just important that you do.

3rd, and probably not the last thing I realized today, is that at my funeral, I want music! I want it playing in the background during the visitation, I want lots of songs at my funeral. I want everyone to be praising and worshipping, I’ll be in heaven, praise the Lord!

Comments

Pat said…
I want music too. And don't put my glasses on me...I won't need them any more!!
Tonya said…
Yes, Music also, I let you be in charge of that since you have all of the music. Love Ya!
Anonymous said…
Me too for music ... happy music, of course! Once at a funeral, the deceased had requested Frank Sinatra's, "I Did It My Way" ... which hit a sad note with me :(
KayMac said…
important lessons...thanks for sharing your heart!