The movies


I love the movies. I love to go with people, I even love to go alone. It seems I go in spirts, I go to the movies a lot, and then not for awhile.
I went and saw the Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith. Phyllis was at a friend's so I went by myself, caught the last Matinee for the day at MJR by our house. Got out my movie card, earned a free pop and popcorn with the purchase of my movie ticket - dinner and a movie- how great is that!? Watched the previews... There was a movie about war or something, I cried during the previews, who does that anyway?!

Phyllis had already seen the movie and she said I was going to like it. She said "Mom, there's a Stevie Wonder song in it". (if you didn't know, every great movie has a song with Stevie Wonder in it) I smiled. When she was little and there would be a song playing anywhere, mall, store, resturaunt, and I would say to her "who sings this song?", the answer was ALWAYS Stevie Wonder. People thought she was a musical genius, little did they know, I only asked her when it was Stevie Wonder. HA!

I remember learning in school that as Americans we were entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We have the right to go after being happy but not necessarily the right to be happy. I took that to mean that sometimes you just have to make your own happiness. You have to step out of the world, and just find the blessings in life, and be happy. He brings that up in the movie.

It was a great movie, happy ending in all that. There were so many parts in the movie that I could relate to my own story, even though I am not nearly as successful as Chris Gardner. I can remember going hungry because Phyllis was extra hungry that day. I can remember dragging her to work with me on days that we just had to. And just yesterday, I can remember being so afraid that I just wasn't going to make it and I had someone who trusts me to take care of everything.

But sometimes you just realize that God is going to take care of everything. I realize that I just can't do it all on my own, and that there is someone bigger, stronger, and better than me to take care of everything. And my only job is to trust in Him.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Comments

Mrs. Mac said…
Great "life" and "movie" review. I remember seeing an interview with the real life hero of this movie a year or two ago. Great inspiration. Last movie I saw was Narnia ... and before that Pear Harbor ... and before that the first "prequil" to Starwars. Yep, about every five years or so I dust off my shoes and hit the theater (usually to fall asleep ... I'm a boring date for dh :)
KayMac said…
I am going to see this tomorrow. I have only heard good things about it.

love movies. love your post. you are an awesome young woman!