Good from Bad



I thought I would update you all on my trip this past weekend. It was a great trip all in all. Not exactly what I was expecting but it was really good, I got a lot done, spent some time with some WONDERFUL women.

One of the women said to me on Saturday “you’re a SINGLE mom?” Yes with infliction in her voice and everything, “who cuts your grass, shovels your snow, and fixes things?” In my mind I thought “what planet are you from??” In my out loud voice I said “I cut the grass, shovel the snow, I call my dad or someone to fix things or I do it myself”. Then later she said to me “so, as a single mom, I bet you date a lot” WT HECK! What does that mean I thought in my head, but in my out loud voice I said “I don’t think I date a lot, did you date a lot before you married your husband?” And then I asked her if she thought it was weird that I was a single mom.

I struggle all the time with being a single mom. Would it have been my first choice to be a single parent, not married? No, but I made the choices that got me here, no one else. That being said, that believe that if you want to, with any bad choice, you have the power to turn it around. I also believe that a lot of time will be spent leaning on God’s strength or sometimes just plain asking Him to pick you up and carry you. I think that what she said (the 2nd time) was completely inappropriate. Completely. But maybe she has a perception issue, or maybe she’s just an idiot but I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say it’s perception.

I will admit that I have probably judged someone the first time around but then I try to put it in the perspective of being a Christ Follower which means that we all fall short, whether your picture is pretty or you have one like mine that is a little lop-sided. Because if we were perfect, then why would we need Jesus? I think of someone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol and I can’t stand in judgement because my addiction to food is “legal”. Addiction is addiction. How can I stand in judgment of someone else’s sin when I have my own that I wrestle with everyday? Last time I looked sin was rated, sin is sin. There isn’t one of us who doesn’t fall short.

I think that’s what it means to be a Christian, I think that falling short and being pulled ahead by the grace of Jesus, that’s how we grow, that’s how we get a little closer, fall a little less.

God makes a lotta good from some really bad choices.
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,who have been called according to his purpose
Luke 6:42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Comments

John Cowart said…
"I think that’s what it means to be a Christian, I think that falling short and being pulled ahead by the grace of Jesus, that’s how we grow, that’s how we get a little closer, fall a little less".

I think this is a great post full of wiseom. Thanks.
Pat said…
As I heard in Weight watchers this morning - "you can't drive forward looking in a rear view mirror"...even they have wisdom! Don't be offended by what others speak, intentions can often be misinterpreted - I'm a master at not saying what I mean.
I hear you on that food addiction thing - I'm also a junkie.
Sara said…
with you all the way.
Mrs. Mac said…
OK ... I'm a big food junkie too. Just remember, God uses our past experiences (wise and not so wise) to reach out and minister to others. Good post.