My first job

My first "job" wasn't anywhere really interesting, I happened to come about it in an odd way.

When I grew up we always had a boat, Margie Lou II (20 ft runabout), Margie Lou III (aka the Barbie Boat, 22 ft Bayliner, it was yellow), Margie Lou IV (31 ft Chris Craft, burnt in the fire), Margie Lou V (33 ft Chris Craft until I was 16). "Growing up" in a marina sure can show you some very odd things in life.

I've dealt with more drunk people than I can ever imagine. There was this one couple that always had people in from all over, Len worked for Ford and had someone in from England in and Len was known as Captain Quervo (Quervo is tequila for those of you sheltered people). So what does that tell you? I once drove them to get more because they were too drunk to drive and it was either that or they drove themselves. I probably saved a lot of lives that night.

We had pig roast, clam roast, and pot lucks usually about two times a summer. It was a lot of fun, we were like a big family. Everyone knew me. I had one of those buster brown hair cuts, it was straight brown, I ran around in a blue life jacket for a long time because that way if I fell in I'd be safe. Only fell in twice, both times my dad was right there.

So... all these people... I was usually the most responsible one around (even when I was 7!) we were having one of the marina's famous parties, I don't remember which one, but we were all sitting there and Mr. Knucklehead and Mrs. Knucklehead had this little blond haired, blue-eyed boy about 18 months, can't remember his name. He was precious and he liked eating that Ambrosia stuff, but not the red cherries (I have no idea why I remember that stuff), since I was the most responsible one around, I kind of just took care of him, then his mom, brilliant as she was, decided she didn't think it was a good idea for a 10 year old to take care of him, and she dropped him! On his noggin'. Yeah... so my first job was to take care of that precious angel to make sure he didn't have a concussion (I don't know why we didn't take him to the hospital, I was 10).

Thus beginning my career as a babysitter (I got a TON of babysitting jobs after that) and God carving the path of my work with children.

Psalm 33:11 But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations

Comments

KayMac said…
YIKES......
Pat said…
I wonder how he is today? God watches over those who can't watch over themselves...in this case he sent you to take care of everyone.