Righteous

Romans 1:14-17 NIV
14I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome.
16I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 17For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last,[a] just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

This is my verse of the day. I received it this morning in an odd sort of way from someone. It was also different because I didn't have my bible with me. I always have my bible in my purse, but I was using it and forgot to put it back in my purse while I ran my errands. I won't do that again. I called Phyllis to read it to me, but I got kind of put off by the word 'righteous'. I always do. Maybe it's because I always think of 'self-righteous'. You know "you self-righteous Christians...." you can fill in the rest.

I can't be righteous. Because I looked it up on the internet, Righteous has the following definition according to the Hebrew Dictionary:

The Hebrew word for righteousness is tseh'-dek, tzedek, Gesenius's Strong's Concordance:6664—righteous, integrity, equity, justice, straightness. The root of tseh'-dek is tsaw-dak', Gesenius's Strong:6663—upright, just, straight, innocent, true, sincere. It is best understood as the product of upright, moral action in accordance with some form of divine plan.

Righteousness is one of the chief attributes of God. Its chief meaning concerns ethical conduct. (E.g., Leviticus 19:36; Deuteronomy 25:1; Psalm 1:6; Proverbs 8:20) It is used in a legal sense; while the guilty are judged, the guiltless are deemed righteous. God's faithfulness to His covenant is also a large part of His righteousness. (Nehemiah 9:7-8)
Righteousness also relates to God's role as
saviour; God is a "righteous saviour"; (Isaiah 61) and a deliverer. (Isaiah 46:12-13) The righteous are those who trust that they will be vindicated by the Lord God. (Psalm 37:12-13).

God is righteous, it says so right there. Not me. While in that definition is the word sincere, I might fall into that, but as for being upright, and just, yikes, I just don't make it.

Except for one thing. By His blood, by being chosen by Him. I'm righteous. At least in Him. In myself, I'm slime. But in Him, I'm justified, and I am in righteous, because He covers me in all His greatness. Maybe the verse coming to me wasn't about me and the way I am feeling or something I'm struggling with, maybe God just wanted to teach me something today.

Romans 8:30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Comments