Actions vs words

I have been struggling with something for quite some time, actually most of my life. Actions that don’t match words.

How can you say you love me but not show it? How can you say that you love me but never call or email to see how I’m doing?

You see, I have to be honest I love words, I love to read them, to write them, to speak them (sometimes this one a little too much). Katie told me that you speak about 120 words a minute but we think something like 1300-1500 words a minute. I love words, they are a great way to express ourselves. But if your actions don’t match your words… they mean nothing.

I love that sometimes there are words to communicate to someone how you feel about them, I also love that sometimes the way we feel about someone can only be expressed via a hug, or a tear, or an action.

I recently have been struggling with some deep hurt. words don’t match actions. And because of that, I don’t have much to say. I can actually feel myself closing up around such people. I will probably never trust them again.

If you look at what Jesus did, and how God continues to move in our lives, there are no words, the actions say it all.

1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

Comments

Trish said…
Sometimes the best thing to do after being deeply hurt is distance yourself. Forgiving doesn't mean trusting... that trust must be built in time. I have found for myself personally it is best to just stay away, there is no constant prickling of what thorns remain and eventually the wound heals. Yet, a scar always remains. Praying for you!