Janet Maierle

My Aunt Janet died yesterday. She was my dad’s sister. My whole life I referred to her as “retarded” not in a bad way, it was before politically correctness. It’s just the way it was.

If you knew her, you knew Jesus.

I’m sure that most people wouldn’t see it that way, but I do. She was the closest thing to Jesus you could get on this earth. I’ll tell you a little bit about her… tune out if you’re not interested.

She was loving. She loved you no matter what. When you walked in the room, her face lit up, and it was an instant hug. If we all loved like she loved, shew, the world would be a better place. I’m telling you, she would give you the best hugs ever, even after her stroke, she had one good arm, and she would hug you and never let go if you’d let her.

She was patient and kind, smart, and funny.

My dad loves to tell the story, I’ve heard him tell the story of long ago (back in the day before twist off caps)… My dad asked Janet to go get him a beer. She did, and she brought it to him. He looked at it, and said “how do you expect me to open it?” to the drawer in the center section and got the bottle opener and brought it right to him. Smart kid. And oh! My favorite, when you asked “who wants dessert?” her hand went straight up! Can’t get much smarter than that. I think that’s my favorite memory of her.

She loved “Ickle Me Tickle me” by Shel Silverstein, I would read it to her, and she’d laugh and laugh! I would bring the book to my grams and read it to her.

She couldn’t talk but she could communicate well. You knew what she wanted, and when she wanted it. We just had to figure out a way to communicate with her.

She was fun-nee! She loved hanging out with my dad in the kitchen, she would laugh and laugh and laugh while trying to shove him in the oven. It was great. We’d laugh because she loved “her big brother Bob” so much! She had the best laugh ever, right from her belly!

Her favorite snack? Fritos and Canada Dry (not Vernors, it was too fizzy). Although, one time we went to this awesome picnic and the Vernors guy was there, I thought it was so cool.

She taught us all how to love bigger and better than before.

Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."


Ickle me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too
By Shel Silverstein from “where the sidewalk ends”

Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too
Went for a ride in a flying shoe.
"Hooray!"
"What fun!"
"It's time we flew!"
Said Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too.

Ickle was captain, and Pickle was crew
And Tickle served coffee and mulligan stew
As higher
And higher
And higher they flew,
Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too.

Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too,
Over the sun and beyond the blue.
"Hold on!"
"Stay in!"
"I hope we do!"
Cried Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too.

Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle too
Never returned to the world they knew,
And nobody
Knows what's
Happened to
Dear Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too

Comments

Pat said…
What a beautiful tribute to one of God's very special children. She contributed more love in her lifetime the most are capable of. You were blessed to call her Aunt.
How happy and whole she is now in the arms of Jesus.
Thank you for sharing your love of your beautiful Aunt Janet.
Sara said…
i remember you talking about your aunt janet so i know how deep her loss goes. she's with gram and your mom and sister now. what a family reunion Jesus is planning for you. love you.
Trish said…
What sweet memories of an Aunt so special. Shel Silverstein is one of my favorites!
Praying for your family, Aunt Janet is irreplaceable.
KayMac said…
I agree with Pat...thanks for sharing this beautiful life w/ us!