Scripture Reading

About a year ago, my gram died. It was time. And for me it was peaceful, I was able to say what I needed to say to her, I knew where she was going. I typically am chosen to read scripture at a funeral. I take this as a great honor. When my gram died, I had a scripture that I had chosen that I wanted to read. However, it wasn't approved by the church to read at a funeral. To say the least, I was torqued off. From the moment they told me until now. I understand that in some "circles" they don't encourage the "normal" people to read their bibles. However, I belong to a circle, that not only encourages it, they expect it. Do bible studies, get in the Word, talk about it, and most importantly, live it. Thank you very much. I like it that way. I've never been one of those people who can accept what people tell them to do without asking why. And if you don't tell me why, there's probably no chance that I will do it. I come from a long line of rebels, however, most of them were a little more subtle about their rebellion, I'm just right out there. Apparently, I'm demonstrative, or so I've been told.

Today, I was chosen again. And I'm telling you, it hasn't even happened yet, I'm torqued, because I know I'm not going to get to pick. And it bugs me, because I'm smart enough to pick out an appropiate scripture fitting the life of my loving aunt. I'm smart enough to open my heart and listen to what God would have me read. And in a quiet voice, I will hear what to read, and why, the Holy Spirit is wonderful, and loving, and soothing.

Comments

Trish said…
They don't even encourage their people to own a Bible. They are led blindly and I find it so sad that they are robbed of the beauty
God's word holds.
Praying for your family.
Jada's Gigi said…
I'm sorry. Traditional church in general is pretty weird isn't it?
Mrs. Mac said…
Hey, Margie ... I think I was raised in that 'religion' ... not encouraged to read the Bible for one's self ... spoon fed pre-determined scripture 10 years in advance ... yada yada yada! You were brave biting your tongue ... My husband would have broken 'their' rule anyway if he had been asked ;) ...
Trish said…
Miss you!