Peace in Priorities

Matthew 37-39 Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worhty of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

I remember quite a long time ago, someone said to me "your priorities must be clear, God, Family, Work". what? Nothing comes before my family. Not even God, I thought, He'd understand, He's God after all.

You want your life to be in order, get your priorities straight. Love God first. He not only wants it, He commands it. After all, when asked Jesus said the most commandment was 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. (Matthew 22:37-38).

For a long time, God was not first in my life, He was someone I ran to when I was in trouble that I knew I couldn't get myself out of. He was my last hope. Until one day when I was so "far gone" that I realized, He wasn't my last hope, He was my only hope. That's when it all changed. That's when I found peace. Peace and Joy which are so much better than being happy. Joy comes from the inside, that no matter what happens on the outside... Joy. And in that joy, there is a peace, that quiets my soul when the world is LOUD!

So I quickly discovered, want peace and joy? I needed to get my priorities straight.

1. God
2. Family
3. Everything else

I didn't really know if I could do it. I didn't think I could put anything before Phyllis. I thought, I love her a lot. But then I realized, love God first and everything else falls into place. I was taking the dog for a walk yesterday and I said "it's You and me God". I've been so... confused is not the right word. But even at 35 I couldn't figure out what am I supposed to be when I grow up. I like my job, I love my daughter, my church, is this it? But when I'm quiet, and I can hear God, that's when I know there is a plan, that I do need to prepare for the plan. And somehow, I can find peace and rest in that plan, and it's not up to me. I have no control, the plan will not succeed or fail because of me (more failing will be done than succeeding if it's based on me). There is great peace in that. Just to live in God's arms, that's peace.

1 Cor 7:15 15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

Comments