Where were you?

I am too young to remember where I was when JFK or Elvis died, but I can remember 9-11-01.

I was at work, coming back from a meeting and Lynne Fugedi ran up to me and told me that a plane crashed into the WTC, twice. I remember watching it on the big screen at work. They sent us home. I remember hugging Phyllis a little tighter that night.

We were scheduled to fly to Disney on 9-17-01. It was our first real vacation, we were going to Disney, also said to be a target for another bombing. We didn't even know if we were going to have flights that day, and no back up plan. Sunday was the first day of regularly running flights so we went. Not scared at all.

I don't fear big things, but I can run in circles like a crazy woman for small things. "don't sweat the small stuff" (and don't pet the sweaty stuff). Whatever. I think small things matter more than big things. I think that people hold on to the small things more than the big things. You can disagree with me, but in my life, little things can make me super happy or super crazy.

One of the greatest gifts I have is to see God in little things. To watch His glory in small steps, in little movements, and then to see the final picture. In the tragedy of 9-11 God moved. It says that in Romans 8:28 that God works for all those who love Him, and I know that's true. He gave strength to rescue workers, wisdom to decision makers, hearts of love for those who spent endless hours helping and loving afterwards.

Psalm 9:11 Sing praises to the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.

Comments