Cake...


Let me tell you a tried and true secret to save money...

Make your own birthday cakes. Typically they taste better than store bought. Personally I don't care what a cake looks like, I only care if it tastes good. I hate wasting calories on cake that tastes like cardboard (Kroger's white cake! GROSS!!)

Also... here's another secret... love fun-fetti... buy the Aldi's or Savelot white cake and just add sprinkles. Just as good.

Cost to purchase a cake:

Cake Mix: $.79

Frosting: $.99

3 eggs: $.40

water: too small to figure out

oil: about $.25 (if that!)

$2.43!!!

And this does not include the gas to go get the cake (I keep all that stuff in stock!)

I make most of the cakes for everyone's birthdays at work. Some people go to the store or bakery and literally spend $50 on a cake. Are you kidding me? Do you know what a charity could do with the difference in money?

Grace Centers of Hope could feed 21 people

Souls to Soles could buy 18 pairs of shoes for children in need

Fuel (our Jr. High) could purchase 45 packages of cookies or over 50 bottles of pop to reach out to Jr. High students (we have snacks every week)

and by the way... my food budget for the month is only $250 that usually ends up about $200.

I bring all this up because this week we are celebrating 3 people's birthdays at work. And I always get 3-5 emails telling me how good the cakes tastes and how much they enjoyed the cake I made. Could you imagine if I spent $20 on each cake?? $60!! for cake (yes, I know they could share, but I am wierd about people getting their own cake on their birthday)

You know you are getting old when the candles cost more than the cake. - Bob Hope

Comments

Julie said…
It is crazy what people will pay for cakes...although I guess I can't say much since I make cakes for people and charge them! :0)

But...I'm getting out of doing birthday cakes...they aren't really worth the time, I can make better money doing wedding cakes. Plus, now that we have Costco here, their cakes are cheaper than I can/will sell mine for. But I agree...the cakes in the stores just aren't the same thing.

I am sure your cakes are delicious...you should put some pictures of them on here...

Hope you're having a wonderful day!
Pat said…
I love box cake, I think it tastes great. My fav is cherry chip. I agree, you pay a lot for the convenience of not having to make it, but you miss out on having your house smell deeee-lish!
Constance said…
When our youngest daughter married last month we got their wedding cake from:
WAL-MART!

It was beautiful, tasted wonderful and cost $138! No one could believe it didn't come from a high falutin bakery! We had more comments about the cake then the reception meal!
Conni
Deb said…
I need to take lessons from you in how to be frugal. Seriously.

I spend too much on cakes...and everything else too!