You're blessed when...

Our church did a series called blessed. And I don't know why but I thought of how we are blessed when something is missing.

And you may be thinking... well, I can't begin to know what you are thinking... but here is how this has worked in my life.

I'm blessed because I didn't have a mom. Ok, it sucked not having a mom. I can't imagine what life would be like with a mom because I never had one. But not having a mom, has made me really appreciate being a mom. It has also been a blessing because in some ways I have given God the glory in the stuff that I just don't like. I may not agree with it, but I trust that God knew what He was doing.

I'm blessed because I'm single. No... not the way you're thinking. But having this longing to be married, it's a blessing because I fall more into love with God everyday. He's become the love of my life, fulfilling me in ways I don't think would be possible with a husband. And one day, when I am married, I will be blessed because I will appreciate that love, because it's been prepared by God.

I've been blessed to be poor. Who would think that's a blessing? I would not say I am poor now, I am just saying, there have been times I've gone to be hungry. THere are days that paycheck to paycheck needs a bridge. I've learned to rely on God, not on myself for resources.

I'm blessed to be lonely. When sometimes I am alone, when I am lonely. It makes me reach out to God more. It strengthens my relationship with Him.

I'm blessed when something is missing. God fills it all up.

Matthew 5:1-12
1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Comments

Stacy said…
I was blessed when I was without because YOU, Margie, showed me the love of Christ when you blessed me "with". Thank you for being the hands of Jesus in my life, I am grateful beyond words to know you and experience God's love through you!! When I am "with" and you or someone else is "without", I WILL bless you, joyfully remembering what you did for me, and how He provided for me through you! But in the meantime, I pray that you are blessed beyond imagination, for your willingness, and thoughtfulness! Love you!
Constance said…
I totally understand where you are coming from! In fact, just yesterday at church God reminded me of something during Communion. At our church, we go up to a table and take the elements anytime during 3 of the songs that are being played.

I remembered back when I was a single Mom and I struggled in so many ways. I was lonely, frightened and anxious. I would look around the church and see families and couples sitting together and I would feel a longing to share that important part of my life, my faith with someone else. I remember praying to God and telling Him how I desired that same thing.

Yesterday as Dave and I walked up, God reminded me of that time in my life and all of the memories of those feelings came rushing in. He also showed me in that same moment that He had been faithful to me and had answered that prayer.

I remember a saying I read when I was going through those single mom years.

"You can only say that Jesus is all you need when He's all you've got!"

Connie
Deb said…
There was a time in my life when I had no one but Jesus. I have never since been as close to Him as I was during those days...
Cherish your time alone and love Him like you've never loved Him before!