I love Detroit

I don't know if you know, but around here, Mitch Albom is a writer for our local paper. He was invited to write an article for Sports Illustrated. You can click here to read it. The article is a must read. I even had Phyllis read it while we were in the doctor's office yesterday.

Although I've lived in the 'burbs of Detroit all my life, I've lived close. I complain about the snow, but I love Detroit. I love all it's culture, and I'm not talking about the food.

As a child I went on countless field trips to Greenfield Village, the DIA, Detroit Science Center, the Detroit Zoo. I love the Gem Theatre, especially the summer they had Jazz every Friday. Stacey and I never missed a Friday I don't think. There's Roma Cafe, and we have this gem of an island Belle Isle. Completely under-rated and under utilized. It's beautiful and I always take out of town guests there to get a beautiful view of the city. There are great theaters, the Detroit Opera House, Masonic Temple (they give tours - it is A MUST DO! SO INTERESTING!!), Fisher Theater, and SO MUCH MORE!!!

I remember in second grade, Mrs. McLauglin took me to see Annie. I remember how excited I was, I remember pushing open the big doors thinking the place was so majestic, I can see it even today. I love musicals to this day, I even went to see Grease all by myself and got turned around on Mt. Elliott (one of the few times I've been scared on the streets of Detroit).

This year we went on a mission trip to Highland park, just blocks away from where the movie Gran Torino was shot. I even said "that's highland park" and remembered so many landmarks that were shot there. Our T-Shirts said "I love Detroit, the city of this reputation begins with me". Our city is known for the bad choices of our mayor, our murder rate, and countless other things, you've got to be tough to survive here. However, we are a city that cares about each other, my neighbor even stops and gives care packages to those that she passes on her way to and from work. We don't go far on our mission trips, we stay close to home, helping those we love, because they are family.

I love Detroit, the reputation starts with me.

Comments

Deb said…
Someday I'm coming so you can take me to see that great view!

When I lived in Pittsburgh, one of many ways to approach the city is through the "Liberty Tubes" - a place where the road tunnels through Mt. Washington. No matter what --I'd take the loooonnnnngggg way around when driving newcomers into the city to take that route because the skyline almost explodes in front of you when you exit the tunnel --very impressive!
Mrs. Mac said…
I remember Greek Town and saying Ooompa when the waiter would bring a flaming hot plate of 'fried cheese' ... the Greek bakeries ... the tram ride. And the view looking across the river from the Windsor, Canada side.

Margie ... how is your Dad doing today (Sunday)? Is he still in the hospital? I just prayed for him to be in Jesus' gentle care.