I hate competition

People say I should be in a bake off because I make ‘the best’ cakes or cookies. I know there are better than me. Personally I don’t want to hear the “OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH she beat you” or if it were to happen (saying to the other person) “she’s the best” (meaning me).

In competition, someone always loses. While I don’t agree with that whole sports thing “everyone’s a winner” mentality (either keep score or don’t keep score, but if you do, teach your children to lose with dignity because it probably won’t be the first time they lose).

At our church the boys always wrestle, they call it Atomic Arena. I don’t get it, I think it’s stupid, and someone always gets hurt. I hear them bragging or putting each other down (they even put each other down when the loser isn’t around). I hate that.

I’m not going to sit hear and tell you that I don’t have my own personal ‘atomic arenas’ in my life that I don’t wrestle with, because I do, but God is working in me about them.

I don’t try to be the best at something because I want to be the best, but because I truly believe that excellence is honoring to God. It’s why I go the extra mile to make sure that everyone eats what they like or if someone can’t eat tomato products that when I make spaghetti I don’t just give them plain noodles or that if there is a vegetarian that I have options for them too, or gluten free if needed.

I’m not really the best at anything, but I try to do my best at all I do, that way I never fall short.

Phil 1:15 It's true that some here preach Christ because with me out of the way, they think they'll step right into the spotlight. But the others do it with the best heart in the world. One group is motivated by pure love, knowing that I am here defending the Message, wanting to help. The others, now that I'm out of the picture, are merely greedy, hoping to get something out of it for themselves. Their motives are bad. They see me as their competition, and so the worse it goes for me, the better—they think—for them. (msg)

Comments