"you're awesome"

Oui! I hate when you do something for someone and they say "you're awesome"!

If you didn't do something (like you said no) would they say "you're a jerk"?

Lets look at the definition of awesome:

1. Inspiring awe: an awesome thunderstorm.
2. Expressing awe: stood in awesome silence before the ancient ruins.
3. Slang Remarkable; outstanding: "a totally awesome arcade game"


Ok... to inspire awe, did you ever wonder... why they use part of a word in a definition, thanks Mr. Webster...

Lets look up awe!

1. A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might.
2. Archaic
a. The power to inspire dread.
b. Dread.


Nice, so when you say "awesome" are you saying that I inspire dread? Great, nice. thanks.

But tell me, exactly what are you saying? can't you just say "thank you, I appreciate it". And if you think "awesome" is a good thing, does the fact that I do something make me awesome, but if I don't make me a big fat jerk. I think it's easy to say someone is awesome if they do something for you, but do you really see their heart?

And then my other favorite is when people say "you're amazing". By definition:
Amazing:
1. To affect with great wonder; astonish.
2. Obsolete
To bewilder; perplex.

I don't think people are amazing. I mean, they might affect great wonder, but I doubt it. God, now He affects great wonder, He's astonishing, though not obsolete.

My whole point? It's easy to say someone is great (if that's what you mean - not that they are dreaded) when they do something, but when they do nothing... what are they?

“But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives”- 2 Peter 3:10-11

Comments