Fr. Jack

I was just standing in my kitchen, making punkin waffles for Pretty Sarah, she loves punkin.

I was thinking about a member of our family. My grandpa's brother, Fr. John P. Maierle, aka Fr. Jack.

I wonder how much he anguished over my lifestyle. Watching me make poor choices over and over again. I never understood why he would ever want to be a priest, serve a God that I feared, not because I loved Him, but because of consequences, all of which, I deserved, I deserved more, however, He is, afterall, a God of grace. But that's not the God I knew. I think Fr. Jack tried to talk to me about Jesus, however, I didn't really want to hear about Him. I went to church, wanted my daughter to have a relationship with God however, I didn't really have one myself. I had a weird view of God, especially because I never understood why God would take my mom from me, I'll never understand it, however, I know His way, His will, is the only way.

I wonder what Fr. Jack thinks now? I wonder if he thinks "I knew eventually she'd come around". I wonder if it shocks him that I'd love to go back to school and get my Master's in Theology. Sometimes it shocks me! I wonder if he is up in the choir of angels singing, just bowing down to God, knowing that we will be together one day. That in this vapor, I spend it with Him, serving Him.

I wonder.

I stand in my kitchen, knowing that it is because of God, and Fr. Jack's life for Him that it is because I have this home, a home that is filled with love, that it protects us from the elements, it makes us able to help others, it makes us able to serve Him.

Comments