overflow, baby!

I'm crabby today, for no other reason that I just didn't get enough sleep this week.  Ok, and that my kitchen is tore up.  And my house is a mess....  I'm just trying to be quiet.  At one point I got up to go tell someone off, I was stomping, and then...  I simply sighed and sat down.

I'll tell you the truth, this is so weird to me.  I didn't think that not swearing would be such a big deal, I too have said "its only words" but really, its kind of odd, I don't even really think the words that much.  Though I am sure that people think I'm a little weird when I call people 'knuckleheads'.  Or when I just order the headset for someone who talks on their speaker phone too loud.  

There was one moment yesterday when this guy in a really ugly coat tried to shove me and Phyllis into a wall that I ALMOST told him off but I just held my ground and kept walking.  Weird.

Did you know me before?  I'm betting that if you knew me in Dearborn I bet you think I was nice (I had the biggest purse everywhere, and always had everything in it, just in case you needed it), I bet if you knew me after that... not so much.

If you knew me in Lincoln Park, the whole 'overflow' thing completely applies.  I hated living in Lincoln Park when we moved here.  I didn't want to be away from my friends, I had reverse culture shock.  In Dearborn it was very diverse, I never looked at someone else's skin, religion, race, clique as a way to judge them, and I really don't think anyone I knew did either.  I still don't.  You win or lose on your own merit.  When I moved to Lincoln Park, it was a bunch of white people...  very cliqu-ee and there was a bunch of wanna be thugs.  I remember talking to this one kid and he asked me if I wanted to go 'coon hunting'.  My response 'there's racoons in Lincoln Park?' Seriously, that's what I said.  He said "no, we're chasing the blacks (though not the word he used) out of Lincoln Park'.  My answer "NO WAY, ARE YOU NUTS, THAT'S WRONG!?!?" Welcome to Lincoln Park High School.  I did things like wore my Fordson Jersey on Fridays, oh, there was a huge issue with Fordson and Lincoln Park the year before.  Lucky me.  I did find some really good friends, but a chip on my shoulder I had.  The overflow of my heart spoke really loud. I was a jerk.  I think in a lot of ways if I'm being honest, I thought I was better than them because I wasn't from Lincoln Park.  Funny now, because I still live in Lincoln Park.  I still do say "just cuz your from downriver, doesn't mean you have to act like it".

It took a long time for me to figure out who I really was/am (in Him).  When I look at people now and their attitude, I instantly think "out of the overflow of his heart, his mouth speaks".  It's amazing how different my overflow is when dealing with theirs... 

What's your overflow?

Comments