I AM... a daughter

In a time when it wasn't normal to be a child of a single parent, I was.  My mom died when I was 16 months old, breast cancer.  I never knew what normal was, and maybe when I was little I knew things were different but I didn't know any better.

It was different being raised by a dad, but you know girls hold their dad's heart strings.  We did everything together.  One funny thing that is still in my life is that I buy shoes when I need them, not when I want them.  For the most part, that's a guy thing.  I love shoes, but buying tons of black shoes is not practical.

I think that as parents we learn a lot by example, some of how to be, and how not to be.  In my case I am a child of a mom that died.  The only example I have of my mom is to love your children more than anything else in the world.  That's an example that is hard to live up to.  Its a big example that has to be lived out every day of your life.

My life as a daughter has evolved.  I went from being my dad's everything to having someone else take that spot, its taken awhile to figure out that he still loves me even if its not the same way it used to be, I'm amazingly blessed because that person who is now my dad's everything is a beautiful woman who loves my dad like crazy, and that love spills out of his life into those he loves.  Now I have a dad, a mom, and an earthly mom.  I love them because they all showed me love on earth, however...

We love because He loved us first.  1 John 4:19

Comments

Trish said…
You are blessed!
Momma said…
It must have been hard to share daddy at first, but what an amazing blessing that God brought someone into your fathers life to be his companion and love on you like a momma. You are a blessed woman for sure.