Phyllis and eating

So the other day there was nothing for lunches in the house.  I don't know what happened to me but apparently the lunch elves swooped in left... nothing.  Seriously, not those moments where there is nothing to eat but there really is moments, this was a "there's no bread, no leftovers, no lunch meat" yikes kind of moments.  And French Onion Soup was on the menu at school (that's a big NO).  So I said "can't you just buy? what do they serve at school?" 

Phyllis didn't know.  A Junior in High School and outside the soup line, has never purchased lunch at school.  I was kind of in shock thinking "really?"  And thinking back, I guess it's true.  Phyllis would almost always choose fruit over junk, home cooking over processed.  She takes plenty of snacks to school, fruit, veggies, fruit snacks or roll ups, granola bars, cereal bars, special K bars, rice cakes, pretzels, gold fish (I try to buy whole grain), maybe a wrap or leftovers.  If you've ever been to our house, seriously, our snack drawer is a wonder to be seen.  If she likes it, its probably in there.  Lots of variety.  And everything purchased is usually on sale. 

Obviously one of us (there's only two of us) makes lunch every morning or if it's leftovers puts it together the night before.  Usually I do the main part and she picks the snacks.  It's one of those things that I like to do, why do I love in food, that's so weird to me.  I always laugh to myself when she actually knows what she wants because it makes me happy because then i don't have to put together a list of 'what would you likes'.

Just in case you're wondering, today she took chicken cacciatore that we haven't even had this week yet (I made two meals for the week - so she's having leftovers before they are left over) and some snacks...

I have no idea why I wrote all that.  It was on my mind, as she is, I just finished lunch (I had the other meal - Rotini Mexican Chicken - before it was left over too - we are so weird!) and I was thinking about how much I love her. 

And... I miss my mom today.  Who am I kidding?  I miss my mom everyday

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.  Desmond Tutu

Comments