Grocery Shopping

I would say that my generation was probably one of the first to really have junk food as a child. Pop tarts, chips, junk.

I was a chunky kid. I wasn't very good at sports, and so, I ate, sat around, in the summer swam, rode my bike here and there, but I was not an outside kid.

Today I was in line at Meijer and the woman in front of me had a HUGE basket, $213 worth of crap. You know all that food that Jamie Oliver on the Food Revolution said not to eat, well it was all in her cart. Not one thing of peanut butter and jelly or bread. Kid Cuisine, pot pies, hot pockets, pizza rolls, hungry man dinners. Oh my. My stomach was turning just to watch it being rung up just thinking about eating it gave me a stomach ache.

Now, for the last 3 weeks I've had nothing but healthy food. Its because I've been on the Biggest Loser, I get that, however, you will occasionally find junk in our house, but mostly you will find good veggies and fruit, chicken, and ground turkey (I hate the way ground beef smells when it cooks! GROSS!).

But what worries me is what will happen to our traditions? Will younger generations know how to make pot pie from scratch? or will they think it comes from a box? Will they know that homemade cookies do not come from a tube (which btw, my daughter never has considered that 'homemade')?

I realize that cooking is not everybody's thing, however, I would hope that people could make simple things like tacos, spaghetti, or even baked chicken, and follow a recipe. I think about making food for the Colombia team or the mission trip or whatever, and how I think about each person (like I'm planning on making sloppy joes and I've already got the fake meat stuff for those that are vegetarians). I wonder will people taste the love in the meals that are cooked?

Will they get used to gross food and think that it tastes good? Their taste buds will think that sugared up fatty food is good?

What will happen to our children? Will they not know how to cook? To provide for their families?

Comments