Passion



Passion is a gritty kind of love, tough and

optimistic enthusiasm that overcomes negativity and inconvenience to make it

through to the end. (10,000 Reasons Overflow)


Sunday, August 29, 2010

Preparing for Winter

10 qts Peaches
‎17 bags of green beans
4 bags of broccoli
8 bags of squash
6 bags of zucchini/onions/garlic
8 Pints Pickles

I am glad that I decided against the case of tomatoes this weekend, that would have been way too much! I'm pretty excited about getting all that done!

I've never canned before so I decided to start with pickles, Kosher Dill. I used a mix with pickling cucumbers, I need to wait 4-6 weeks before I can open them! I hope they are good, its been like music to my ears hearing the snapping of the cans.

I think I want to do 4-6 more bunches of broccoli and when I do the tomatoes, I will do salsa and tomatoes.

I was going to buy the canning jars at the farmer's market but thought I'd shop around and ended up finding the same wide mouth pints for $4 cheaper at Kroger ($6.99 vs $10.99) so that made me happy! I've got qt jars just need lids. I may go get one more case for homemade applesauce that I do every year.

It makes me happy knowing I am preparing for winter, and also preparing yummy food and a cheaper price that buying it in the winter.

Anyway, that's it from the mom who loves in food!

James 3:18 Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness

3 comments:

Pat said...

You're an inspiration!!

Mrs. Mac said...

You are evolving into a fine and talented homemaker, Margie.

Hugs,

Constance said...

I miss the old days of living in Nebraska, tending to my garden and canning at Harvest time. When we moved to Texas I attempted to have a garden again but everything burned up! I am sure I would have better luck now that I realize that Texas has a different timetable than the Midwest! We travel a lot in the summer so I have resigned myself that it won't be happening anytime soon. Still, I keep my Boiling Water Bath and Pressure Canner handy! I usually only can butters and jellies anymore.
Connie