mpg

My brain is pretty simple (not to say that I’m not smart because I’m totally smart!) God uses great analogies sometimes to teach me stuff.

I went to 1721 tonight, I actually didn’t know if I was going to go until last night when one of my students asked me to go. I actually didn’t have a job to do so I was thinking I would just stay home. You see, that was always my life in Youth Ministry, I always had something to do, but then I’d get mad because people would only say something to me after I did something. What an idiot! But if you’ve been reading you know that I’ve stepped down from Alive on Sunday nights, it was a hard choice but I had to be obedient. Its been difficult, especially since no one has actually checked on me to make sure I’m ok that I didn’t fall off the deep end or to even see if I’ve been behaving myself, I think it would be so easy to hide my sin since no one is close enough to see, but if they’d ask me, I would have told them the truth. So if you’re wondering… I’m behaving.

One thing you probably don’t know about me is that I am one of those dorks who never likes to stand there and pump gas, seriously, I put in $10 or $20 at a time because I just don’t feel like standing there, please don’t get all logical on me. Now when you have a Toyota Corolla that gets 31 mpg that’s really not that bad, you can go days on that, however, if you have a Ford Windstar, you don’t get very far because you only get like 17 mpg or something ludicris like that.

While I was in Youth Ministry ‘full time” meaning 20-30 hours a week (yes really that much sometimes) I sometimes used that same logic of spending short periods of time in the bible (though I’ve always spent time in prayer) or listening to teachings, reading, and I didn’t get very far on that ‘fuel’. I’ve made quite a few changes in my time with God, I read the bible, bible studies, study things for life groups, read, etc. I go a lot further, and actually my tank doesn’t get to empty because I am constantly fueling it.

So… on to tonight, I went, I soaked in the worship like a sponge, listened to a great ‘story of God in a great man’s life’ and poured into kids. That’s it. No words, no sign ups, no sorting, and at first I felt kind of guilty about that, but then I remembered, I’m in a new season, I’m in a season of renewal, of sunshine, and rain. I think about the winter, its not my favorite season, its quite, and cold, but it’s peaceful. It’s a time when the God of the universe has said ‘be still’ to the earth. It’s a time where the ground rests in order to have a beautiful spring, summer, and then onto harvest time. I think this time for me is about rest, though in the winter, the white beauty is something to behold! I think God has some great rest and some greater things for me to behold in this time. Maybe it’s a little less work, and a time of rest for me so that I can be ready for a great spring, I’m not sure what He has planned, I just know that even when its hard to be still, I will be obedient and rest so that I will get plenty of mpg with the fuel that is being provided.

Matthew 19:28 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel

Comments