2010 Detroit Half Marathon



I can tell you that this weekend was… amazing and HARD!

I finished in 3:19! I don’t know if that’s good, which I guess isn’t all that great for anyone but me.

This is kind of how I look at it. There are some things I do that I have such a hard time with because I over think it, and sometimes, I just jump right in the pool without checking for water. The jumping applies here. I really had no idea what I was up against or what I was really doing. I’m crazy. And then… 3 friends join me. It was probably one of the best experiences of my life, and probably one of the hardest.

Let’s just start with eating and drinking. We started about 7:20 and finished about 11, on a normal day, NOT RUNNING I would have had breakfast and possibly a snack. This day I had about 4 bites of a disgusting breakfast sandwich, a bite of a larabar and a funsize bag of peanut m&m’s. I tell you the truth, I’ve never had a banana that tasted like heaven until I ran the half marathon! And I know for certain I did not drink nearly enough water.
I probably only ran half the time, it was WAY hard! You can’t anticipate the going up (or even down) the bridge, and once you start walking your muscles get stiff. I know we walked the last 3 miles or more. How do you run on no fuel? Its hard.

But let’s talk about the finish! EJ, Lindsay, and I walked across the finish line linked in arms. It was awesome! My girl wasn’t there but she was at RCDetroit, and so I met her there, and as I walked in they were singing ‘How great is our God”!! Perfect ending!

Our God is great! I could have not put one foot in front of the other without Him, without His grace, without His mercy, and without His direction. He has been guiding me through all this, all along! And let’s not even forget the awesome people that have encouraged me in so many ways through this! It has been an incredible journey!!

I’m so glad I did it, even though it was HARD! And I am proud of myself, 4 months ago, I never would have made it, but with His strength, I made it!

Phil 4:13 I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength!

P.S. I finished looking fabulous, still wearing lipstick!

P.S.S. If you wanted to buy me a gift certificate to Daybreak Salon and Spa, I would NOT be sad!

Comments