Before I knew you, I loved you

There is a scripture that is kind of a life scripture for me, I've always struggled with it, wanting to believe it.

Jer 1:4-8
4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying, 5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew[a] you,
before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” 6 “Alas, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.” 7 But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD

Our college pastor aka the single's director preached on it the other day.  And as I was thinking about a lot of things in the last couple days.  I've been thinking about how its hard for me, so hard for others as well.  I was thinking about how sometimes in the current times, its hard for people to see God as their father, and not be waiting for the next shoe to drop or to be let down.  God never lets us down.  we might not always get what we want, but we ALWAYS get what's best for us!

I could think of a million real life examples I have but I do not want to use them because I don't think that would be the right thing to do for the innocent and not so innocent, you know.  So, being that I just saw the movie "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" the other day its fresh in my mind, there are two examples in the movie of how dads let their children down, in this case girls.

The first is Carmen, her mom and dad get divorced, for really reasons we don't know about, but meets this new woman and is going to get married.  And in Carmen's eyes, has settled into this new family, leaving her in the dust because she just doesn't fit.  In her eyes, and perception is reality, her father has abandoned her.  He has moved on to something better.  Carmen has this feeling that her dad thinks she was never good enough, and when we apply that to God, we really are never 'good'  and many people wait to come to Jesus until they are 'cleaned up'. Now, we know (at least those of us who know the saving grace of Jesus) you'll never be cleaned up enough.  But it can really skew your vision. And in all reality, some dad's may never think you're good enough, they may find love in a new family, they may ditch you, but God never does.  Believing in His love and His truth, may be hard, but its the only real and true thing there is.

Then there's Bridget, her mom died, and her work-aholic father provides for her in many ways but never giving her the love that she needs. Who knows, maybe he blames her for her mother's death, maybe he just doesn't love her, and showing her love in shallow ways is all he knows, and truly we find that she seeks love in all the wrong places, when all she really wants is to be loved by her dad, and spend some time with her.  Who knows how long its been since they shared some time together, just the two of them, three days, three months, or three years.  Bridget just feels completely unloved because her dad doesn't spend anytime with her.  Its hard to believe that God would want you, when the people (your dad in this case) don't want you. 

But the thing about God, as I was reminded Sunday, is that if it was only my sin that put Him on the cross, He loves me enough that He would have gotten up there. He would have sacrificed Himself, for me, and He wants to have a relationship with me, that is filled with love, not rules.

Comments