Preparation & Team Work Pays Off

I love to cook but I don't like to cook dinner during the week.  How about them apples?

By the time I get up at 4:30, to the gym, then get ready, round up the last minute things for the day (I almost forgot my shoes this morning! I wear my boots to work), drive to work, work, drive home, I am a tired birdbath.  And I'm hungry.  And I just don't feel like cooking. 

But I want to improve the amount of money left at the end of the month, so that means... I must eat in more, cook more, and plan more.  But even when I do that, I don't feel like cooking.

Last night Phyllis asked me 'do you want me to do anything before you get home from work?'
"YES! cook some brown rice".  It takes an hour to cook (and who wants to eat at 7PM - I get home around 6 - you do the math), "and pull out some chicken".

I walked in the door as the timer was going off for the rice. 

Off goes my shoes, and coat, wash my hands. All while the chicken thaws in the micro.

Heat up some Sesame Oil in the pan, garlic, ginger, add chicken, while that's cooking, cut up some carrots, run down to the freezer, grab some broccoli that was frozen this summer, grab a bag of snap peas. 

Throw in carrots, while those cook, thaw the broccoli, drained the water out. 

Add snap peas, broccoli, soy sauce, heat until snap peas are heated through, add rice, mix.

Dinner.

We were eating at 6:15.

How about that, faster than it would have taken for Phyllis to get her boot on and drive to Panera, and it was GOOD!

Ok, all that to say, preparation pays off.  It was a lot of work freezing veggies, cutting, cooking, measuring, bagging.  And so does team work.  I prepared a lot of veggies this summer to enjoy a great harvest this winter.  You reap what you sow.

We had a really good meal, tasted great! and we could really enjoy the rest of our evening. 

Comments

Pat said…
How bout them apples?
I'm a tired birdbath?
Are you hanging out with people of my generation? LOL! I love it!
Yep,preparation is everything, that and having a good daughter to help you!
Jada's Gigi said…
Awesome!! My husband is always trying to get me to delegate...looks like it paid off for you!