Here I am! Send me!

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. _Martin Luther King, Jr



So my life group, most of us, are going on a Mission Trip to Central America to dig a well. I’m always up to something, aren’t I? This year, running a marathon to raise money for Rwandan wells, 2012 I'm actually going with a team to drill the well.  Crazy...

I’m excited and nervous at the same time.

Phyllis and I are both going. It’s a lot of money. I’m not a big one for fundraising. I hate asking for money, and it’s a total pride thing. Oh boy, Pride. Two times in one week. I can feel some hard lessons coming on if I don’t get on my knees about this, if I don’t read up and listen up about this. This will be an act of obedience for me. It will mean that not only do I depend on God, pursue Him, His will, it means I have to listen to Him and do what He says.  My next book in the bible to read & study... Isaiah.

I’ve never done anything like this before.

Since there is a good chance of us going to a Spanish speaking country, this will be a great opportunity for me to use the 4 years of Spanish I had in high school as a base and learn how to speak it, and get confident at it.

So here I go, stepping out, not sure of what will happen, but trusting that whatever it is, God will be with me every step of the way.

Is 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Did you know...  Facts from Living Water International Website
 
LIVING WATER INTERNATIONAL KEY FACTS
• 884 million people in the world do not have access to safe water. This is roughly one in eight of the world’s population. (WHO-UNICEF)
• 1.8 million children die every year as a result of diseases caused by unclean water and poor sanitation. This amounts to around 5000 deaths a day. (UNDP)
• LWI projects providing safe water and hygiene education at an average cost of twenty dollars per person, for a generation. (LWI)
• The simple act of washing hands with soap and clean water can reduce diarrheal diseases by over 40%. (UNICEF)
• Providing water and hygiene education reduces the number of deaths caused by diarrhoeal diseases by an average of 65%. (WHO)
• Water-related disease is the second biggest killer of children worldwide, after acute respiratory infections like tuberculosis. (UNDP)
• The weight of water that women in Africa and Asia carry on their heads is commonly 40 pounds, the same as the average airport luggage allowance. (UNDP)

• Water and sanitation infrastructure helps people take the first essential step out of the cycle of poverty and disease.


WATER-RELATED DISEASES

• At any given time, half the population of the developing world is suffering from one or more of the main diseases associated with inadequate provision of water and sanitation. (UNDP)

• At any one time, half of the developing world’s hospital beds are occupied by patients suffering from water-related diseases. (UN)

• Around 90% of incidences of water-related diseases are due to unsafe water supply, sanitation and hygiene and is mostly concentrated on children in developing countries. (WHO)

• Intestinal worms infect about 10% of the population of the developing world. Intestinal parasitic infections can lead to malnutrition, anaemia and stunted growth. (WHO)


WATER USE

• The average North American uses 400 liters a day. European uses 200 liters. (UNDP)

• The average person in the developing world uses 10 liters of water every day for their drinking, washing and cooking. (Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC))

• On current trends over the next 20 years humans will use 40% more water than they do now. (UN Environment Programme (UNEP)

• Agriculture accounts for over 80% of the world’s water consumption. (UN Environment Programme (UNEP)


EDUCATION AND ECONOMY

• 443 million school days are lost each year due to water-related diseases. (UNDP)

• 11% more girls attend school when sanitation is available. (DFID)

• 40 billion working hours are spent carrying water each year in Africa. (Cosgrove and Rijsberman 1998)

• Households in rural Africa spend an average of 26% of their time fetching water, and it is generally women who are burdened with the task. (DFID)

Comments