Scripture Memorization - John 3:16

I know it may seem a little childish, but I am a child of God, so I've decided to memorize one scripture a week for the next 100 weeks.  I found a book on my nook called 100 scriptures every Christian should Know.  I don't always trust the people who write books, I mean, this one seemed pretty harmless, helpful really but I like to make sure, so before I decided to download the sample and see what the author had to say...  well, the sample had all 100 listed in the table of contents.  HA!  No need to pay for the book. Somehow I just don't feel guilty about that.  I thought this would be a great idea for my girls that I lead so I put together the schedule, and each time they memorize one, I will put a dollar in an envelope for them, upon attending their graduation, I will the money in their grad card.  I don't normally give graduation gifts to the students because, quite frankly, there is so many of them, I just couldn't afford it.

I decided that each week, since I don't have the book to tell me why the author thinks I should know it, I will pray on it, and write about it.  It seemed kind of funny that the first one I decided to study was one I already knew.  John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Most people know this one.  So I decided to write it out in the NIV and the Message version.  I love the message version, as my friend Becky says when reading the old testament in the Message version "it's like reading a soap opera, only better". The Message breaks it down in everyday language, it often assists me when I don't understand something.

This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.

I mean when you can recite it by heart, I think that's great, but when I read it, certain words JUMPED off the page to me.  This breaks it down... and this is why!  God wasn't like 'Hey, I think I'll send my son down there, it'll be good, maybe it will help someone, it will pull them out of the pit... I'm sure a couple people will love him.  Yeah, Good idea, glad I thought of it'. 

NO!  He said NO ONE NEED BE DESTROYED!!  if you believe in Him, ANYONE can have a whole and lasting life!   WOW!  Now that's good! 

All week, Phyllis was gone, my girls were gone, and I've often said that 'left unattended, I can get into a lot of trouble'. It's true.  VERY TRUE.  And who would know?  I would know.  God would know. 

In this verse, God didn't say it would be easy.  He didn't even promise we'd have a whole bunch of stuff.  He said, we would have a whole and lasting life!  Now that's a promise! 

Comments